Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been driving my 2005 CC with 12K mi for about a year now and it's been a ton of fun. Now however, when I accelerate from a stop the car creates a horrid, high pitch squeal so loud it sounds like a mating call from Godzilla. This happens as the auto clutch engages and is starting to occur when I accelerate hard and paddle shift between first and second. I need to take it in to have it looked at, but wondering if this is a common issue with the F1 pump, clutch or other doohickey I don't know about.

Thanks,
DK3

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Sounds like a pilot or throwout bearing to me based on other similar threads on the topic. I'm guessing you're going to be due for a clutch as well and if not, you may want to consider doing it anyway since they'll already be in there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agree.
My 2005 need both, and I put a new clutch in at the same time.
Clutch not covered under warranty though, just paid for the part.

·
Registered
824 Posts
When mine did this, they explained it as the clutch engagement with uneven wear not the throwout bearing.

Is it more noticable in normal mode than sport mode? If it was the throwout bearing, the noise wouldn't change depending on how much load the car is under (it only pushes axially).

I noticed it most in normal mode under > 1/2 throttle.

I am betting you wind up replacing your clutch somewhere in this process.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds expensive and not something that falls under factory warranty (I still have another year)! The noise doesn't change in sport mode, so I suspect you're right on about the throw out bearing. Clutch had 68% left 3K miles ago and I've been pretty gentle. Is it worth replacing with more than 50% life left?

Thanks for all the feedback!

-dk3

·
Registered
742 Posts
Take it to the dealer, have them fix the TO bearing ...

I noticed my car squealing at 20,000 miles, I had one month left of warranty.

I took it to FMNJ and they discovered it and REPLACED IT FREE OF CHARGE. I asked them if I should replace the clutch at 20,000 miles, ($1,400 for the part )they called me when the car was open and advised me NOT to replace the clutch as I had a lot of life left. They figured I could get another 20,000 miles.

Maserati misconception that was pointed out to me. Most people assume you need to replace the clutch if its a bad TO bearing. Many times you do not. Unfortunately, depending on the service manager, you may be told to replace the clutch. What do you know?

I think this TO bearing issue is why clutch life has gotten such a bad rap. FM Service guys have told me they replaced a lot of clutches north of 30,000 miles.. Just an FYI.

Also, you will be amazed how much better your car drives with a new TO bearing. Its night and day.

Good Luck.. CM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the same issue with my 4200 CC on its 2nd clutch. I too thought it was on it's way out. After discussing this with my service centre they told me that Maserati will try this as a first fix.
Put the car into 2nd gear with the MSP off and in Sports mode and floor it. You will after a couple of attempts smell the clutch burning but it removes any glazing on the cluch plates and can stop the noise you mention. I worked for me and the cluch is performing perfectly at 56,000 and at 57%

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Been driving my 2005 CC with 12K mi for about a year now and it's been a ton of fun. Now however, when I accelerate from a stop the car creates a horrid, high pitch squeal so loud it sounds like a mating call from Godzilla. This happens as the auto clutch engages and is starting to occur when I accelerate hard and paddle shift between first and second. I need to take it in to have it looked at, but wondering if this is a common issue with the F1 pump, clutch or other doohickey I don't know about.

Thanks,
DK3
Yep pilot bearing. Fixed under warranty if you still have some left. Do the clutch at the same time. "Free Labor" as the service manager referred to it ;) You'll be on the hook for about $1400.

Buzz

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Maserati misconception that was pointed out to me. Most people assume you need to replace the clutch if its a bad TO bearing. Many times you do not. Unfortunately, depending on the service manager, you may be told to replace the clutch. What do you know?
It's not a misconception, but the fact that clutch costs $1,400 and labor $4,000. So it makes sense to have the clutch replaced at that time, especially while under warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts