Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes get a slight squealing noise from the belts usually loudest on startup but it then goes away but it returns when pressing the gas occasionally.

I thought my belts probably needed changing brought to the dealer to change them both of them and told them about the noise. They confirmed my belts did need replacement and that everything else was fine. I now got the car back and the belts still seem to be squealing a bit but maybe a bit less.

When I asked them again they advised maybe it’s a pulley on its way out that they didn’t notice.

I’ve now asked them to advise on what to do.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it dangerous? It’s not that audible but I do notice it occasionally on acceleration with the radio off. Do I just wait another 2 years now to address pulley when I change the belts again next time? I also have hesitation to even bring back to the dealer since they couldn’t locate the problem the first time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Squealing new belts can be made quiet by rubbing soap on the serpentine area , it will help deglaze any shiny sections on both belt and pulley
If it persists it may be a dry bearing when cold / first start-up

4,135 Posts
The belts shouldn't be squealing and you should not put anything on them...I would get that looked at again before it gets worse..You could have an A/C compressor that is starting to drag etc...Jason

·
Registered
628 Posts
between a tensioner, two idlers, and an a/c clutch.... like jason said, that isn't right.
putting on bandaids on for squeal isn't addressing the cause, just making yourself feel better.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If this happens on cold start, they should be able to determine at least which belt the sound is coming from by removing the A/C belt and do a cold start. If it is the main drive belt, then I would probably guess the belt tensioner as someone else mentioned. Your description said "squeal" so that sounds different than pulley bearings which would probably be more of a squeaking sound. If the tensioner is the problem, it is really not that hard to change if you do any type of DIY work on your car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone on the input. The problem went from fixed the day I picked the car up to 10x worse in a matter of a couple short rides. It seems the new belt tighter belt is stressing something a lot more now.

I think I’m describing the sound incorrectly at first it’s not a continuous squeal it does sound more like multiple squeaks .

Symptoms are a lot more noticeable now as they’ve gotten a lot louder and slipping is all the time whenever I’m feathering the gas and is only between 1400-2100 rpm hot or cold. It used to go away when cold but no longer. Whats strange is if you push the car a bit no noise or slipping at all. It also doesn’t occur in neutral when hot only when cold. Also I’m noticing having the AC on or off doesn’t make a difference.

On one occasion when cold I did physically feel the belt slip as I was giving it 50% gas then it suddenly caught and jolted a bit. The noise seems to have gotten a lot worse after that incident.

Even though I’m leaning towards the tensioner myself because of feeling the belt slip that one time. They specifically confirmed to me that they checked the tensioner before changing the belt which is why I’m not sure and why they think it is now a pulley since I guess they didn’t check those. Is it possible they maybe didn’t align the belt correctly? I’m really hoping it’s something cheap and not something like having to change the ac.

Either way I’m bringing it back to Maserati soon just trying to get an appointment to see what they say since I can’t drive the car like this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts