Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the 2018 new in June and had an issue with the brakes making a squeaking sound. I first called to ask them if it was normal and they explained that the Levante needs a "breaking in" time frame. I took it in when it hit 6000 miles and needed oil. Of course, they did not squeak that day. As time goes on, the sound is not as loud and as often. But, is there something specific with the brakes I should ask them to check to try to eliminate this sound all together?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Take vehicle up to 80++, and stand on the brakes hard. Burn off the glaze. That is why your brakes squeal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanted to say thank you so much! I told DH to do it and he is going to try it. I did not want to be in the car in case he gives me whiplash, lol. That would be such an easy fix!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Glaze is the problem. Esp if you city drive. 99% of drivers do not know much about brakes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have a GT and my wife has the levante. I know my GT squealed too with the OEM pads. but i replaced them and never squealed again. unfortunately, the levante is now having the same issue. i went to the dealer, they said the same thing..."breaking in". i called BS. 25k later, still squealing. i was dumb enough to buy the extended service warranty...so i had them replace the pads. after arguing with them, they only replaced the front pads. and it STILL squeals. so now i am debating on just replacing with after market. i bought mine on formula dynamics for the GT, but just checked their website, and they don't sell pads for the levante. any recommendations?

·
Registered
230 Posts
So you want quiet brakes....good quiet brakes. Pads for Brembos are easy to get. Stay away from Porterfeld. and things like Hawk HPS and Pagids. Lots of pads will be quietwrr with less brake dust, but many will not perform as well. never understood why squeaky braskes bothered people. To me it's all about how well they work!! Go to brake pads direct etc and discuss your options. Lots of sites out there with lots of info. I'm sure if you call FD they will help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info and it was reassuring that I was not the only one who thought the breaking in period was BS!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts