Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to hearing squeaking noise at low speed usually in the first gear and sometimes in second. This is intermitten but usually comes on moving off from a standstill in 1st gear. Has anyone experienced this problem before or know if I should get something done with my clutch?:confused:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It sounds like clutch. If the noise goes away after the clutch engages and happens only when starting from a stop or uphill, it's probably clutch slipping. But if it also happens when slowing down, coming to a stop, it can be the throwout bearing.

That's what I've learned so far from the experts here in the forum. My car would squeak when taking off only, even worse uphill, and it ended up being a glazed clutch (slipping).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like I have a glazed clutch. Does this mean the clutch is worn or has a fault in it? Hope it is covered in the warranty.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Bad news for you, it's NOT covered under warranty.

I have the same problem right now.

I picked up my car at the dealer last night, it was there for 2 weeks. I tried everything to get it replaced under warranty, even called Maserati North America twice (they never returned my call, left 2 messages to Kathy Hayes). :mad:

The dealer charged me $280 to adjust my clutch! And it's now worse than it was before.

It seems like nothing related to the clutch is covered under warranty, at least it's what the service manager told me. It's considered a "wear" part, or something like that.

Maserati warranty is a joke.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
This weekend I noticed a similar squeal between 1st and 2nd. The car's at FMoW getting a checkup before heading up to the Poconos & the service mgr suspects the pilot bearing based on my description. Is this the same as the 'throw-out bearing'?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've experienced this noise with two GSs. In both cases it was the pilot bearing and was replaced under warranty. :D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I asked my service manager if the problem with my car could be pilot/throwout bearing instead of glazed clutch and he told me that when the problem is the bearing the noise happens not only at take off but also when slowing down coming to a stop, and with a glazed clutch depends on the load/friction, like taking off or going uphill.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2005 makes that exact squeaking sound only from start to first...and only when it is cold. I only have 8,500 miles on the car so I hope it is not a clutch issue already. I'm taking my car in tomorrow for the annual "checkup" and oil change and was going to have them take a look at it. I hope it is the pilot bearing and covered under warranty. I'll let you know what they find.

Squeaking or no squeaking, this car still attracts attention. I have taken my car into two dealerships looking for a four door speedster that fits four real people (C63AMG and Lexus ISF), and more people surrounded my car in the customer parking lot than the cars I was looking at...so far I like the C63.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Please let me know what they are going to say.
By the way, what dealer are you going to?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Verdict!!

Just received a call from my dealer (Silicon Valley Ferrari and Maserati)...

Good news - Pilot bearing needs to be replaced and covered under warranty

Bad news - clutch has only 4mm left. Choice, replace now for $1,600 (parts) and save on labor since they are already in there. Or wait, and pay again for the labor to put it in when it WILL go out. I opted to replace it. They are checking the F1 pump to make sure that is ok. I cannot believe I need to replace the clutch in less than 10K miles. One thing that does not help is I have a 100 foot driveway I need to back out of in reverse and I know that this car (or at least the clutch) hates going in reverse...

It was funny they knew exactly what the issue was as soon as I started to describe it. Sounds like a design problem.

With fresh fluids and a new clutch, I should be good for another year!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts