Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latch on the rear glovebox between the seats on my Spyder has trouble staying shut. From what I can tell, the latch looks good and nothing is really bent. However, everytime I go over a bump the door pops up, it will also not stay locked.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any vendors have the part so I can fix this?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
....same here - drives me nuts, especially when I'm driving on the track. It manages to pop up at the worst moments. I haven't really tried to diagnosis it. I'm guessing that it's possible to fix with just a bit of an adjustment or some old fashioned ingenuity.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine doesn't pop open, but if I've locked it with the key, I usually have to work it a little to get it unlocked. Seems like pushing down on the lid a little allows the key to turn and does the trick. Might be a different symptom of the same problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just fixed mine

I had the same problem! I fixed it by loosening the screws to the catch and adding small shims to the rear edge to tip the catch slightly forward. This engaged it better in the latching mechanism. Took about 5 minutes and just used a small piece of scrap plastic. For a high end car this is a very sub-par piece of kit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Common problem with the spyders. Not a problem with the parts, I could sell a new latch and striker but you would still have the same problem. Its more of an alignment problem.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had the same problem! I fixed it by loosening the screws to the catch and adding small shims to the rear edge to tip the catch slightly forward. This engaged it better in the latching mechanism. Took about 5 minutes and just used a small piece of scrap plastic. For a high end car this is a very sub-par piece of kit.
I did the exact same as sprocket. The problem is that the catch is mounted at too shallow an angle. I used a pair of scissors to cut up the flat part of a plastic tie (aka Guantonimo handcuffs) and then glued teh pieces in place - then screwd the catck back on. It has worked fine ever since.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Hey Flash....that sounds like a $300 job! :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey Flash....that sounds like a $300 job! :)
I agree - the sad part is that it is probably as good as the dealer will do. I should start charging to subsidize some of the $15K in FD upgrades I did last year or the $4K clutch after my last track day. This is turning out to be an expensive hobby after all!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts