Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 2002 spyder and it died at a light and wouldn't restart. After sitting for a few hours, it started right back up and ran fine. If I drive it and then shut it off, it won't restart for a while again. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like Starter Solenoid may be getting hot but it doesn't explain why it died.

Any sound at all when you try and start? May also be a relay getting hot.

Does all the dash lights go out when trying to start?

·
Registered
191 Posts
That could be many things. I’d run the car to see if any codes pop up, this is one symptom of a faulty MAF sensor for example.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like Starter Solenoid may be getting hot but it doesn't explain why it died.

Any sound at all when you try and start? May also be a relay getting hot.

Does all the dash lights go out when trying to start?
It's not the starter solenoid. I forgot to mention it does crank but wont start. Almost like security is preventing it from starting for some reason.

·
Registered
732 Posts
You need to look for codes.

Shutting down and refusing to start when hot is usually a CAS, as they fail they tend to do weird things as they heat cycle.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a failing fuel pump on a motorcycle that acted up when it got warm/hot.

Might be worth trying to check fuel pressure before/running, and after/non-start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm gonna hook my scantool up this week. It's just weird that it drives perfect but will not restart when hot.

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
19 Posts
based on my experience, I can think of the following problems:
1. F1 position sensor
2. Spark Plugs or Coil packs (bad spark plugs or coils can cause no start, but the car is very sensitive you are likely to have a check engine light on)
3. Fuel pumps (leaking or cracked pump or fuel starvation)

4. Starter (not likely since it stalls first, but do check your starter anyway)
My coupe stalls while I was exiting the highway, turns out to be cracked fuel pumps and fuel leak. No check engine light was recorded. The coupe suffered a fuel starvation and caused the engine to stall. I'm replacing both pumps this week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
based on my experience, I can think of the following problems:
1. F1 position sensor
2. Spark Plugs or Coil packs (bad spark plugs or coils can cause no start, but the car is very sensitive you are likely to have a check engine light on)
3. Fuel pumps (leaking or cracked pump or fuel starvation)

4. Starter (not likely since it stalls first, but do check your starter anyway)
My coupe stalls while I was exiting the highway, turns out to be cracked fuel pumps and fuel leak. No check engine light was recorded. The coupe suffered a fuel starvation and caused the engine to stall. I'm replacing both pumps this week.
I keep seeing people refer to f1 pump. What is it? I can't actually find out what it is or where it is. I highly doubt it's ignition system related cause there's no misfire. Definitely not the starter, it spins over fine, just won't start. It's like it's a hot start issue. But, it runs fine when hot, just won't start back up if I shut it off. It's only died twice. Both times were when it was sitting at idle. I can drive the car for hours and be fine, as long as I don't let it idle for long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I keep seeing people refer to f1 pump. What is it? I can't actually find out what it is or where it is. I highly doubt it's ignition system related cause there's no misfire. Definitely not the starter, it spins over fine, just won't start. It's like it's a hot start issue. But, it runs fine when hot, just won't start back up if I shut it off. It's only died twice. Both times were when it was sitting at idle. I can drive the car for hours and be fine, as long as I don't let it idle for long.

I really just need to get my scantool hooked up and hope it has coverage for the car.

·
Registered
2005 Maserati Coupe
19 Posts
If your F1 pump is bad, the F1 gearbox warning light would turn on. The F1 pump draws the electrical hydraulic power to push and keep gears in place. If it fails, you won't be able to shift into any gear except N. I don't think it has anything to do with your car stalling. The F1 position sensor, on the other hand, if fails and sending incorrect gear to the computer, can causes the engine to stall.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts