Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member, having just recently bought a 2002 Sypder CC. It has only 9500 miles and was serviced and had a new clutch about a year ago. This week the engine light came on (the other problem is that the handle for the reverse lever came off/unscrewed- but that an easy $240 fix (!!) ). The dealer said that the light was on due to 2 bad "timing solenoids" in the engine- and that it would cost $2400 to fix. To make things even better, they said the parts won’t be available for a month!!! Does anyone have any experience with this problem or have suggestions on where else to look for parts/to get it fixed? Other than that the car is amazing. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
357 Posts
If I were you, I'd reboot the car and see how it does. There's a knob by the battery that shuts it off. The reboot procedure is: Put the windows down a few inches shut off the battery for a minute. Turn the battery back on. Turn the key to run position and do nothing for a minute. Start the car and let it idle for a minute without touching anything. In the few times I've thrown a code, this clears it up. YMMV.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If that was the orange "engine" light rather than a red exclamation point inside a triangle, then this is a emissions-related problem. At least that's the way it works on my 2006.

A $60 OBDII read-and-reset meter from your local auto parts chain will let you read the error code and reset the light. If it doesn't come back on, you're all set.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Is your car driving poorly? Is it in limp mode? CEL often come on and resets itself never to come on again, however if your car is driving poorly or in Limp mode, then that would a different story. $2400 for a CEL seems crazy.

I too would reset the system, you can also do this I beleive, by turning the key in the ignition several times , not turning the car on though, (20 is good) to clear the code, then see if the CEL comes on again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the help! I picked it up today from NJFM, the service guy said that I could still drive the car w/o any problems until I get it fixed/the part becomes available (the valve timing solenoids), however the light stays on. If I reset the car and shut the battery off, the light goes away for a while, but then it eventually will recognize the code again. I guess ill jsut eventually have to pay some crazy amount to get the work done. Still, its a sweet car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you

took the advice and disconnected the battery, waited, then turned the key on and off approximately 20 times to reset. The engine light has not come back on and the car runs great! Thank you. Makes me wonder about the dealer though. Does anyone know of a good Maserati mechanic in New Jersey? Thanks again.

·
Registered
552 Posts
took the advice and disconnected the battery, waited, then turned the key on and off approximately 20 times to reset. The engine light has not come back on and the car runs great! Thank you. Makes me wonder about the dealer though. Does anyone know of a good Maserati mechanic in New Jersey? Thanks again.
Glad to hear. From prior experience with a CEL - 90% of the time, if the car is otherwise running properly, its usually either a sensor glitch that will eventually go away or can be rest with an OBDII or by resetting by rebooting with power off. It's rarely a major issue unless there is something noticeably wrong with the car or she won't start or run properly. On many cars, something as simple as not sealing the gas cap (Audi's, MB's) can set off the CEL since the fuel system has lost vacuum.

·
Registered
191 Posts
dealer in NJ

not sure what dealer you spoke to already..... the dealer I know is in Palmyra NJ .. right near the Tacony / Palmyra bridge..

starts out F. C.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There have been some issues with the Variator solenoids that control the valve timing leak high pressure oil into the electrical connection and hardess and creat intermittant concerns. If the dealer saw codes for cam timing, variator malfunctions and a visual inspection revealed oil in the connectors it would be a sound diagnosis. Not knowing what the codes or diagnosis was I can not say for sure. This requires removal of both cam coversto access the solenoids, the electrical connections are outside the covers. I would suggest driving and if the concern returns then obviously you should reconsider having the dealer fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts