Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering If Any Of You Spyder Owners Have The Subwoofer That Is Located Between The Seats As Shown In The Attached Picture.
Wondering If Anyone Has Comments On Itgood Or Bad.
Replaced Complete System In My Spyder, However Require A Subwoofer. Found This One On Ebay.
Thanks For Any Comments

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have it and think it's overkill for the size of the interior. If you replaced the current system where did you relocate the hazard switch? Mine has been replaced with an Alpine system and I have to have a new switch wired in. In fact, I'm dropping it off Monday to have it wired to where the rear foglight switch is.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you have pictures? Can you give us some details please.

Thanks,

Dan
I'll be glad to take some pics tomorrow if the weather is decent. Please let me know what details you would like and I'll try and provide them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm assuming that it is the Alpine Hub system with the remote touchscreen.

Or did you figure out how to get a DIN radio in there?

Since you're looking for an option for the hazard lights, I'm assuming that you replaced all of this:

I've been looking for a solution to this radio mess for a long time. Any information that you can give me would be appreciated.

Dan

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Have A 2005 Gransport Spyder So The Hazzard Light Switch Is Not An Issue.
You Are Right In That I Replaced The Becker Radio With An Alpine
Iva-d106 1 7" Screen With Mcintosh Mcc404 Amp Located In The Spare Tire Wheel Well. Replaced All Existing Speakers With Focal.
Spent Approx $4000.00 Cdn. However I Feel I Still Require A Subwoofer To Give It That Little Extra Punch
That'S Why I Was Considering The In Cabin Box Unit That Comes On The Auditorum 200 System

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll be glad to take some pics tomorrow if the weather is decent. Please let me know what details you would like and I'll try and provide them.
Pig,

Have you had a chance to take any pics? I would love to know what you did.

-Dan

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pig,

Have you had a chance to take any pics? I would love to know what you did.

-Dan
We've had bad weather here all week and it's dark now. I'll take some tomorrow and post.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have you taken pics? Did you replace the screen?

Dan

·
Registered
744 Posts
The entire stereo is complete crap (and I have the auditorium 200 which is called that because it sounds like you are listening to a concert in a high school gym). Don't waste a cent on any of the OEM parts.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A different approach

Gents, I have an 04 spyder w the same info screen. I am in talks w a company to do a 3D laser scan of the info screen unit, removing all the buttons but the hazard lights and recreate it at a manufacture on demand facility. This would allow me (us) to modify the piece in CAD to accomodate a Kenwood 702 touch screen and add other switches if needed like a place for an FD DBW switch. I am getting pricing quotes but it seems like it will be reasonable if I can get a few members to go in on this with me. ( Once scanned, I will also have a template of the piece so we can use other screens or units) We can manufacture out of a few materials but I'm leaning towards a tough thermoplastic which we can leave alone or get leather covered. I will make a mockup in photoshop today if possible and post what I think it would look like. If you're interested, please shoot me back an email. The advantage of this approach is we would remove our factory screen unit and put it aside so if any wants to go back to stock, they can. You would use the Kenwood CarPortal system which is much discussed in this forum which gives you access to iPod, sat radio, satnav, bluetooth, HD radio, etc. It leaves the factory headunit alone. The install would be fairly easy for any shop as the hard work is done, they only have to wire up the units. A good DIYer could also do it. Will post more when I get info today.
Doug

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm in!

I was ready to order the Kenwood 432 4" screen to cover the factory LCD. This is a much better option.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I installed the Kenwood 8120 in my F350 and one in my friends AMG CLK.

This POS radio in the spyder has been driving me crazy. This will be the answer that I (we) have been looking for.

If someone wanted to go with Alpine they could do that as well. Although I can't find Alpine's touchscreen on their website to control the Vehicle HUB.

I'll stick with Kenwood.

·
Registered
241 Posts
OK, here goes...

Here are some (bad) mockups of what the unit would look like. I tried to fit the Kenwood KOS-702 but after careful measurement realized that it is too tall for the location (there would only be 1/16" or so left so no structure). I have mocked this up with the Kenwood KOS-432 which is a 4.3" touchscreen, offers the same options as the larger one, and fits in our console. Here is a link to the unit: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KOSL432/Kenwood-KOS-L432.html?search=kosl432&tp=119

Attached are various pictures of what it could look like. Once scanned, I will be making these at an on-demand plant so the ability to customize each unit exists. Please note the different version with different tridents, etc. You could add a switch for you DBW unit, add your name instead of the logo, whatever. It would cost a little more as we would have to modify the CAD drawing but probably not much. The nice thing about this is it replaces the factory piece and therefore can be reversed if you ever need to.

Give me your thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like the look, plenty of room like you say. The 432 is fine.

I just got back from running some errands with my F350. The 8120 is about the same size as the 702. I think that it would overpower the dash of the Maserati. You're sitting much closer. I'm going to order the 432. It is just a little smaller than the factory screen. I'm ready to order the plate.

Anybody else? The more the better.

Dan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are you thinking that the hazard switch could go to the left? What is DBW?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Switches

I mocked up a switch to the left. This could be used for the Formula Dynamics Drive By Wire (DBW) module which some members have. This area could be left blank, or could house a microphone for a bluetooth attachment. I will have each plate made individually so you can specify what you like. I am researching switches and plaques as we speak. Depending on what you request, it looks like the plates will be about $750 base price. (My early guesstimate) Customizations like specific switches holes, etc. will add about $50 per. This is for modifications to the CAD file and fabrication charges. After I make the first one I'll have a better idea of the issues. I'm going to be the guinea pig so I'll test it all out before I sell any.
You can get great prices at various on-line sites for the Kenwood components. I'm seeing about $265 for the KOS L432 screen, you can use either a KOS V500 (about $329) or a KOS V1000 (about $429), depending on how many inputs you need. Add an iPod adapter, sat radio, and a nav KNA-G510 for about $300 and you're set. You can also do a backup camera, do your garage door opener, etc. So you're at about $1800 min for plate and components. Add instalation or DIY.
I'll keep everyone posted. It'll take me about 3 weeks to get the piece scanned, the CAD file done, and the prototype made and installed. Please send me messages if you're interested as the upfront costs are significant.

·
Registered
241 Posts
RePost

I'm going to post this on it's own page so you can follow it there.
Doug

1 - 18 of 18 Posts