Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this isn't a re-post. I have had my Spyder CC for about a week now (still grinning every time I see it) and have a couple of noodle-scratchers.

1. When driving with the top and windows up, there is an odd high-pitched squeak/rattle noise that seems to be coming from the top rear portion of the driver's window (i.e., just to the left and aft of my head). It seems to stop for a while if I roll the window down slightly, then roll it back up, but it always returns. It's definitely associated with road vibrations, but I cannot figure out where exactly it's coming from. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

2. Is the clock supposed to light up when the lights are turned on? I love the big analog clock, but mine is completely invisible in the dark.

Thanks in advance, and happy motoring!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I don't know about the rattle noise, but the clock is indeed supposed to light up when the headlines are turned on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about the rattle noise, but the clock is indeed supposed to light up when the headlines are turned on.
That's what I suspected. Does anyone have a suggestion for fixing this? Does it look like a bulb behind the clock or something different?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
if the clock is working, i'd say the bulb.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The clock definitely works. I guess I'll try to figure out a way to get behind it and find the bulb(s).

Thanks for the reply, by the way!

·
Registered
744 Posts
The rattle is probably cowl shake (e.g. the chassis flexing). It is a design flaw inherent in many cars that are based on coupes with the roof cut off - rather than being designed to be convertibles in the first place. Maserati tried to add stiffness by shortening the frame (that is why Spyders are only 2 seaters) but it didn't work.

The 02's are the worst apparently. Mid 03 and up had structural foam injected in to the frame tubes that they claim helped but my 04 rattles like crazy (so bad that the rear view mirror is unuseable on a rough road).

Jeff at FD has been talking about fabricating a custom shock tower brace that should help.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm familiar with cowl shake and certainly expect rattles in the cabin. This seems different, though, in part because it goes away for a while if I futz with the window switch. The noise isn't terrible, but definitely annoying. I was hoping someone had dealt with this same problem.

I suspect the solution will be the same as for other rattles: put down the top or turn up the stereo.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Would almost recomend nor fixing clock bulb. It's blinding at night and does not adjust with dash lights (at least mine doesn't, is it supposed to?).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yes its possible, under the rev counter, there is an adjuster for the lights.

(there are two adjusters on the dash, underneath the speed/rev counters, the left under the speedo is to reset the short-trip counter and the right one is for the lights)

stewmims, thats interesting since mine isn't blinding at night, it has a smooth glow. I haven't checked if the clock light can be adjusted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The sound you're hearing is probably dry rubber seals. I know if I put silicone on the rubber seals, the noise goes away for awhile.I think it is the glass rubbing. Remember to put it on the rubber seal where the top rear connects to the deck, that one really makes noise if it gets dry.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stewmims, thats interesting since mine isn't blinding at night, it has a smooth glow.
That's why I was wondering if it looks like a bulb behind the clock or if maybe the whole dial lights up or something. Either way, I will get to the bottom of this sooner or later.

The sound you're hearing is probably dry rubber seals. I know if I put silicone on the rubber seals, the noise goes away for awhile.I think it is the glass rubbing. Remember to put it on the rubber seal where the top rear connects to the deck, that one really makes noise if it gets dry.
Thanks for the advice! I will try lubing those up and see if the noise goes away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts