Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that for the first mile or so after taking my '06 GS Spyder out after sitting in my [very cold] garage, I have a shaking or vibration in the front end. I can feel it through the steering wheel as well. This all goes away after a short mile or so. What's up? Is this 'cowl' shake? I'm wondering if my tires/belts are getting flat spots from sitting on my cold cement garage floor or if my control arm bushings are worn. I typically take the car out about once a week while it's winter. The car has just over 10K miles. Anyone think that pulling the car onto something like "Tire Cradles" is worthwhile?

·
Registered
722 Posts
My 06 spyder rides noticeably harder for the first cold mile or two but I wouldn't call it a vibration, more like the shocks are set to extra-stiff.

You might want to get your tire balance and rim straightness checked.

Cowl shake is when you hit a bump or pothole with one wheel, and the steering wheel seems to rapidly vibrate from side to side in your hands. It's the car vibrating torsionally (body twisting). Convertibles exhibit this to one extent or another because you need a closed box to make a stiff structure, and with the roof missing, you have only a floorpan and chassis for structure instead of a tall closed box.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Tire Cradles worthwhile?

Anyone think that pulling the car onto something like "Tire Cradles" is worthwhile?
I am interested also in whether these are worthwhile. My QP manual says to just inflate the tires up to 50lbs to decrease flat spots. Is that not good enough for the three months of winter storage?

·
Registered
280 Posts
shake may be very cold tires!!!

My 2005 XKR, my 2001 Lotus and a Corvette all did this after sitting in cold and not so cold days; I never drive these 3rd cars very much; remeber that the sport tires on these cars are a soft compund; the first time my XKR did this I thought I had a flat it was so bad and shaking, bumpy like; after a few miles of the tread warming up it went away; if it goes away after warming up I think the tires may be the culprit...Dogdoc

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the responses and the research I've been doing, I'm suspecting the low profile tires are flat-spotting. It really bugs me so, I think I'm going to go ahead and look into a product like the tire cradles. Thanks for the response guys.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't think it is flat spotting...

I get this condition even when I go to work in the morning and leave in the eve. I don't know what it is, but it does it reliably the 1st time I get up to 30-40 mph (usually within the 1st mile). after a few times in this range, it seems to settle back to "normal" spyder cowl shake. I think it is some type of settling activity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts