Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the new FD springs and sway bars, I am still trying to optimize my Spyder's handling. The bars make the car handle far better overall with less (practically no) roll but I still find the steering too light and the car too sensitive to turn in (in fact the roll bars accentuate this). Overall, it is a bit nervous feeling. Numerous reviews have noted this in the OEM set up, most notably Evo magazine so I know that I am not imagining things. I also find the front end lacks grip and I lock it up a lot under hard braking - again making the car unpredictable for really aggressive driving.

I am thinking of two options to increase the front grip and steering weight:

1. 15mm FD wheel spacers all around and maxing out the tires size on the OEM 8" front rim to a 245-40 18. I don't think that I will have any rubbing issues with this set up.

2. Change front rim to a 9.5" size (basically by swapping the existing ones for a set of OEM rear rims) and putting on a much wider front tire (e.g. 255-40 18 or even a 265-35 18). Use the 15mm spacers on the rear only and max out the rear tire size (275- 35 18) to maintain a staggered set up. I am not sure if the wider wheels on the front will rub.

Obviously, Option 1 is a lot cheaper. I have ruled out aftermarket wheels for now because of the prohibitive cost of a meaningfull upgrade (e.g. A set of light 19" HRE's is around $7500). The last thing that I want to do is to add a lot more unsprung weight with heavy wheels since the car is too heavy as it is. The rough roads around here are also not a good complement to a large wheel lower profile tire set up.

I drive the car very hard and intend to put in a full program of track days this summer but the car is primarily for road use. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
After installing the new FD springs and sway bars, I am still trying to optimize my Spyder's handling. The bars make the car handle far better overall with less (practically no) roll but I still find the steering too light and the car too sensitive to turn in (in fact the roll bars accentuate this). Overall, it is a bit nervous feeling. Numerous reviews have noted this in the OEM set up, most notably Evo magazine so I know that I am not imagining things. I also find the front end lacks grip and I lock it up a lot under hard braking - again making the car unpredictable for really aggressive driving.

1. 15mm FD wheel spacers all around and maxing out the tires size on the OEM 8" front rim to a 245-40 18. I don't think that I will have any rubbing issues with this set up.

2. Change front rim to a 9.5" size (basically by swapping the existing ones for a set of OEM rear rims) and putting on a much wider front tire (e.g. 255-40 18 or even a 265-35 18). Use the 15mm spacers on the rear only and max out the rear tire size (275- 35 18) to maintain a staggered set up. I am not sure if the wider wheels on the front will rub.

Obviously, Option 1 is a lot cheaper. I have ruled out aftermarket wheels for now because of the prohibitive cost of a meaningfull upgrade (e.g. A set of light 19" HRE's is around $7500). The last thing that I want to do is to add a lot more unsprung weight with heavy wheels since the car is too heavy as it is. The rough roads around here are also not a good complement to a large wheel lower profile tire set up.

I drive the car very hard and intend to put in a full program of track days this summer but the car is primarily for road use. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

How about changing the alignment on all 4? It's easily done and should be able to change all of the characteristics that you want to change. I would ask Jeff for his alignment values...

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
How about changing the alignment on all 4? It's easily done and should be able to change all of the characteristics that you want to change. I would ask Jeff for his alignment values...
I agree with GrandLake....especially if you adjust the camber while you're at it. This will affect tire wear but, if you're tracking your car, I assume you're more interested in performance than premature tire wear.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
More rubber is better up front if you're really starting to push the limits and need more traction. Better Tires will help. However fitting a bigger contact patch in the front fender wells can be a bit of work.

The spacers will help the car be wider and more stable but should not affect front grip much.

For adjustments... Be sure that you have the front bar in the softer position, i.e. connected via the holes nearest to the ends. If you're looking for more traction up front, tell your alignment shop to give you more camber on the inside of the front tires.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I think that I will try the spacers (for increased steering pressure) and some camber adjustments to start followed by a set of Michelin PS2's or sport cups when my Goodyear F1 GS-D3s wear out. If that does not work, then larger wheels and tires will be be the next step.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Thanks.

yeah check your alignment sounds like your caster is way off that will cause excessive sensitive steering input

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Niteroi - I actually did read a summary of that article prior to buying my F1's and it is not the only one - the tire is universally highly rated. My feeling from the driver's seat, however, is that that the F1's are still not the ideal dry tire though. I was quite happy with them until I started getting more confident and drivng the car a lot harder and on the track.

I find hard braking from above 100MPH causes a lot of squirm and chattering. I do not ever recall getting this with my old PS2's, but then again, I did not have them mounted on this heavy a vehicle. Maybe the F1's in a 245 are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Maybe the F1's in a 245 are the way to go.
That's what I have, F1 Assymetrics, 245 front and 275 rear. But I've never tracked my car...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts