Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 2003 Spyder GT for oil service, and got home to check the dipstick and noticed the oil was way high. I was suspicious when the guy said it took 8.5 quarts. I made sure the car was good and warm before checking, and its way past full.

I wanted to know if I can drive it to another mechanic, or simply use the drain bolt on the passenger side. Does using the drain bolt require getting any new washers or gaskets?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank Jason. I'm sorry to not know this but, is the sump resovoir the bolt on the passenger side accessible through a hole in the undertray?

3,002 Posts
Yes...I would take it back it to the person that changed the oil and let them make it right honestly...Why should you deal with it? mistakes happen so let them fix it...Jason

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The person that did it is booked out until September. If I use the sump bolt I can loosen, drain a little, and then re-tighten without worrying about the washer? Also what is the torque spec?

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
I just took my 2003 Spyder GT for oil service, and got home to check the dipstick and noticed the oil was way high. I was suspicious when the guy said it took 8.5 quarts. I made sure the car was good and warm before checking, and its way past full.

I wanted to know if I can drive it to another mechanic, or simply use the drain bolt on the passenger side. Does using the drain bolt require getting any new washers or gaskets?
You checked it warm and running, correct?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, completely warm and level. The mechanic told me he put 8.5 quarts because he couldn't find the dip stick. It could be half a quart over or a little more.

·
Registered
516 Posts
jason is right ya know, no reason to make a mess for yourself trying to fix something that ought to have been done right. and i wouldn't take "september" as an answer on an incorrect previous service.
if you don't want to go there anymore, swing it through any higher end dealership or shop, audi or porsche for example. ask them to just suck some out the top with the contraptions they have on hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You say you checked it completely warm and level, but was the engine running.
Owner's manual states "The level checks must be carried out on level ground and with the engine warm idling. The oil level must be between the MIN and MAX reference marks on the dip stick. The gap between MIN and MAX corresponds to about 1 liter of oil."
Owners manual specification for engine oil capacity is 7.8 liters.
1 Liter = 1.057 Quarts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the responses. I'm very meticulous in my research, and there is so much information for me to gather thanks to all the forum members who take the time to post. The engine was running for sure, level and hot, it was certainly over by a little more than half a quart. FYI, I got the excess removed at the shop.

Tips for those that may overfill. If you want to vaccum the oil out of the top of the car, you have to go to the dip-stick port, the port where you add oil did nothing. Also, the car had to be running to get vaccum from the dipstick port as well.

The car runs fantastic now. Always love the feeling after a fresh filter cleaning and oil change. Again, thanks to everyone who takes the time to post. It made me check the car after it left the shop and not drive it more than 20 miles with too much oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts