Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the posts about replacing a clutch on an 02 spyder and was looking for a little advise.

How stongly would it be recommended to use an alternate to the factory clutch? If so where would I find one or the required parts?

If the clutch engauges ok before replacement and is drivable, how likely is it to have it replaced without problem by a good tech and then have it set up by the dealer? also where does the balancing come in? can that be done after the fact? Is it an adjustment to the pressure plate after installation? I only saw one guy talk about this where does this fit in the whole repair?

the reason I ask is the only dealer around here won't put in an after market clutch and if it is that much better I would concider having it done.

MW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I was wondering about that cuz I couldn't find anything, I just assumed by what I read.

Can anything be done to increase the clamping force of the pressure plate without drastically affecting or disrupting the operation of the clutch? When people have their clutches repaired/rebuilt are the pressure plates thoughly gone through or just surfaced/checked? If you know? My only concern with that is how the heat affects the pressure plate over time if it gets reused.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had mine replaced a few months ago- it lasted one day after my last track outing. My tech told me that the OEM clutch is similar in size to a 360 and is ill equipped to handle the Maser's added weight and torque (especially after mods are done). I will look in to the Kevlar option for next time.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Flash - are you saying that your clutch only lasted one single track session? What type of track was it...must have been a lot of down shifting to eat through a clutch that quickly.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Poorly worded post on my part Vicenzo. The car had about 14K on the original clutch. I took it to the track (Race City in Calgary which has one of the fastest road courses in NA) and the next day the clutch completely died. It would have gone eventually but my track day definately hastened its demise. Sorry for the confusion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts