Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had my new springs from Formula Dynamics installed this week. I had the Auto Gallery do the work. It came out great! I had the car lowered around 1", so with the 19" GS wheels it looks good but not on the ground. It took about three days instead of two because they ordered some new shims. The ones on the car looked suspect. The car drives so different, flat around corners and reresonds so quickly. I have only covered around 60 miles so I know the ride will soften up some when the Shy Hook learns more. For now I am thrilled, I can hardly wait for the Maserati drive next month to Hearst Castle.:D

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Well I had my new springs from Formula Dynamics installed this week. I had the Auto Gallery do the work. It came out great! I had the car lowered around 1", so with the 19" GS wheels it looks good but not on the ground. It took about three days instead of two because they ordered some new shims. The ones on the car looked suspect. The car drives so different, flat around corners and reresonds so quickly. I have only covered around 60 miles so I know the ride will soften up some when the Shy Hook learns more. For now I am thrilled, I can hardly wait for the Maserati drive next month to Hearst Castle.:D
Did you need to do an ECU reset to "untrain" the Skyhook calibration?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Also, to get an idea of your new ride height, what is the distance from the top of the rim up to the wheelwell opening?

This tends to be one number for both fronts, but slightly different between the back two wheels.

·
Registered
455 Posts
How has the ride quality changed. Do you find it notebly harsher or slightly in general on public roads?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Springs

The ride quality is not too hard just more tied down. Non sport is really good for street driving around town in Los Angeles at least.

The ride height is 26 1/8" front and 26 1/2" rear with the GS 19" wheels. I have measured from the ground too the bottom of the fender lip over the center of the wheel. This is how the dealer did it's base measurements. I would also add that the car from the factory is higher in the back than the front.

As fare as I know you do not need a do an ECU reset the system learns on it's own after around 100 miles.:)

·
Registered
455 Posts
The ride quality is not too hard just more tied down. Non sport is really good for street driving around town in Los Angeles at least.
Since your from los angeles, you know the roads here are not being maintained. I am on the fence about doing this upgrade, but dont want an amplified version of every imperfection in the road. I always drive in sport now and see very little difference between sport & nonsport as far as ride cushion. I recall driving a modified 911 once and it was a rattle box. felt everything in the road and it grew tiring.

When you say tied down, it handles better, but say if you were driving a typical road in los angeles that was straight, flat, and not ancient, but not new. How would you say it differs from the original setup?

thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It differs from the original setup in that non sport is good on streets in the valley or city. The car has less movement or lean. When you punch it the front end does not come up or dive when you stop. It does not feel harsh, if you would like to ride in the car let me know.
Ron:)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wanted to take a moment to thank you Ron for the opportunity to take a test ride with your recently modified Coupe with Formula Dynamics springs.

To anyone considering the springs mod:
There is a tremendous improvement in handling from this upgrade and very slight change in ride "quality", for lack of a better term. I could hardly notice the difference on straight road, but the difference is dramatic, for the better, when under heavy acceleration and on turns.

I will be ordering a set to have installed as this is obviously the way to go.

On a side note, Ron has the cleanest daily driver I have seen.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks GregD I was happy to help, did you think about the Pismo drve next week? It is a blast! And the weather looks to be good.
Ron:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts