Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has a CR Spotless water de-ionizer that he purchased from Costco for $500. It works great - think large scale Mr. Clean Spotless Car Wash system; however, I wasn't willing to spend that much to have de-ionized water. I purchased a hi capacity WaterStick De-ionizer for $89 and it worked equally as well as the CR Spotless system. I installed it in-line to my pressure washer without any flow problems. I tested it on my XKR, which is black and the water evaporated without any spots. Initially I thought I would have to wait for Spring to use it; however, we've had extremely warm weather in Virginia and I was able to use my new gadget this weekend. I'll probably use it a lot in the spring/summer to hose off the pollen of the Range Rover, which has to live outside.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That looks pretty good. All else being equal, I think the cost is in how much water a given unit will clean up before being exhausted (resin quantity).

A friend of mine has the Griot's system but most of the time just uses an electric leaf blower to dry off the car, also no spots and little work if you're quick and the weather is not too hot.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use a California Water blade which does a good job of whisking to drops off of waxed paint. We have some hard water out of our well so I'm going to consider the deionizer. That's a new concept for me. Thanks.

I'm in VA too, so I did the carwashing on Saturday myself.... I'm enjoying this global warming stuff :D

·
Registered
340 Posts
A friend of mine has the Griot's system but most of the time just uses an electric leaf blower to dry off the car, also no spots and little work if you're quick and the weather is not too hot.
That would take courage! I have visions of the blower picking up a small pebble and blasting it at your paint job at 150 mph.

·
Registered
722 Posts
That would take courage! I have visions of the blower picking up a small pebble and blasting it at your paint job at 150 mph.
Plus, he says it makes the neighbors think he's crazy, but sometimes that can be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Plus, he says it makes the neighbors think he's crazy, but sometimes that can be a good thing.

LOL! I started using a leaf blower on my Viper to minimize swirls. It works OK but hard water is hard water and my spots turned into thin streaks. De-ionizer is the way to go; you can let it air dry!

Thanks for the cool tip :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
What a really useful tool , HI capacity waterstick de-ioniser just ordered one for here in the uk , our water on the southcoast is very hard, my cars are nearly all black/dark except for the masser griglio touring and always plagued by white spot after washing hope it works will save endless wiping with a chamois.

Thanks for the tip and info

Regards loz

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What a really useful tool , HI capacity waterstick de-ioniser just ordered one for here in the uk , our water on the southcoast is very hard, my cars are nearly all black/dark except for the masser griglio touring and always plagued by white spot after washing hope it works will save endless wiping with a chamois.

Thanks for the tip and info

Regards loz
I also just ordered one on line. I got the high capacity with resin refills. Thanks again for the tip Vincent!!!!!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks pretty good. All else being equal, I think the cost is in how much water a given unit will clean up before being exhausted (resin quantity).
I think the bottom line is that the startup/sunk cost is less with the Waterstick as compared to the CR Spotless system. I ordered the resin through Waterstick; however, I didn't do a comparison on the cost of resin from Waterstick v. CR Spotless. As far as quality, I always thought resin was a fungible item.

I use a California Water blade which does a good job of whisking to drops off of waxed paint. We have some hard water out of our well so I'm going to consider the deionizer. That's a new concept for me.
I was a California Water blade person for the past 10 years. However, the pollen in DC Metropolitan area is so bad that I wanted something that could quickly rinse the pollen off on the cars that didn't require a full wash.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also just ordered one on line. I got the high capacity with resin refills. Thanks again for the tip Vincent!!!!!!!
Here's another tip. Although the Hi Capacity Waterstick is configured out of the box with a hose sprayer/nozzle directly attached, I strongly recommend that you reconfigure the Waterstick to be in-line to a power sprayer or to another extension hose. The Waterstick is fairly tall and rigid and the increased torque on the hose end providing the water-in could result in the coupling coming loose, etc. Also because of the size it is unwieldy to use the sprayer attached to the Waterstick. Otherwise, the unit works well. Additionally if you put it in-line to a power sprayer, you'll use less water as compare to a straight hose flow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What a really useful tool , HI capacity waterstick de-ioniser just ordered one for here in the uk

Regards loz
Hey loz, did you order it from the link to the US based site or did you find it in the UK. I couldn't agree more re: the chammy. I bought one of those cheapo cartridge type things which worked fine for about 4 washes, albeit at a greatly reduced water pressure. This thing sounds excellent.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Coops no ordered mine via the states , couldn;t find anything similar on google if it does the job worth the £90.00 went for the lot save the hassle on re-ordering

Regards loz

·
Registered
52 Posts
CR Going cheaper on COSTCO

Saw this on COSTCO website today......

$369.99 after $50
CR SPOTLESS De-ionized Water Filtration System
Spot-free Rinse System;
No Drying Required

$369.99
Item # 180790
Shipping & Handling included *

Spotless Water System Resin Refills
$149.99

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saw this on COSTCO website today......

$369.99 after $50
CR SPOTLESS De-ionized Water Filtration System
Spot-free Rinse System;
No Drying Required

$369.99
Item # 180790
Shipping & Handling included *
It seems the prices has come down since my neighbor purchased his unit. I spoke to another neighbor who has a whole house reverse osmosis filter and he says the filter provides satisfactory results for spotless car washing. Here's a link that describes all of the different water purifying systems: http://www.advancedwaterfilters.com/html/faq/faq.php?question=62#anion

I didn't realize there were so many different applications for water filtration. It seems ultimately to save costs, you need to have an idea of the current composition of your water to select the most appropriate filter. For example, the Waterstick company sells a product that doesn't use resin and that is renewable via table saly.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've used my high cpacity Water Stick 4 times now and it works really well. Seems to be some question as to whether you should use soft water to wash AND rinse or to just rinse. Both seem to work but it's harder to get the soap off when you wash with soft water.... Anyway, very few if any spots. This will REALLY stop the swirls caused by even microfiber towels.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've used my high cpacity Water Stick 4 times now and it works really well. Seems to be some question as to whether you should use soft water to wash AND rinse or to just rinse. Both seem to work but it's harder to get the soap off when you wash with soft water.... Anyway, very few if any spots. This will REALLY stop the swirls caused by even microfiber towels.
I've also gone little crazy washing the cars since receiving the waterstick. So far, I've washed about 15 cars with it. Interesting observation about when to use. So far I've used it for both washing and rinsing. I have an aquarium water testing kit, I'm going to test my waterstick water this weekend.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My neighbor has a CR Spotless water de-ionizer that he purchased from Costco for $500. It works great - think large scale Mr. Clean Spotless Car Wash system; however, I wasn't willing to spend that much to have de-ionized water. I purchased a hi capacity WaterStick De-ionizer for $89 and it worked equally as well as the CR Spotless system. I installed it in-line to my pressure washer without any flow problems. I tested it on my XKR, which is black and the water evaporated without any spots. Initially I thought I would have to wait for Spring to use it; however, we've had extremely warm weather in Virginia and I was able to use my new gadget this weekend. I'll probably use it a lot in the spring/summer to hose off the pollen of the Range Rover, which has to live outside.
I bought this unit about 3 weeks ago and I'm less than thrilled. The resin doesn't last long and I still have hard water spots.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Returned my spotless system to Costco,just didn't work for me. How do you guys like the Watersticks?

·
Registered
541 Posts
What's wrong with Mr. Clean Spotless Car Wash system ? I have it an think it actually does a decent job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts