Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a Maerati Spyder and it has a sports exhaust - I think its a Tubi judging by what I have read on some threads.

I do not know whether I am worrying unneccessarily but on deacceleration and when I take my foot off the gas there is a 'spluttering/gargling noise'. Originally I loved this sound but I think it is getting louder and I have noticed even on the motorway at high speeds when I decelerate it 'gargles and pops' immedietly. Should this hapen at high speeds? Unless I am imagining things this was only happening before when I was at lower speed decelerating to come to a stop. Also some of the sounds are starting to get quite loud, almost like bangs occassionally... However the car runs perfectly otherwise.

I have been over a couple of speed bumps recently which I could hear scraped the bottom of the car and I wonder if that has anything to do with it... or I am I just worrying for nothing, maybe it was always like this and I am getting paranoid?!

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for coming back to me... what exactly is the A/F miture? Excuse me but I am kind of new to all this!

Good to hear it is normal but is there anything I can do about the problem to make it sound better?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Air/Fuel mixture...

When you change an exhaust system to an aftermarket... it results it in a leaner Air/Fuel mixture...

Thats why they suggest getting an upgraded ECU... To take full advantage of the power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok

OK thank you - but bottom line is how do I gt rid of the problem?! At present I feel a bit too much of a 'boy racer' in the car because of the popping where as I would prefer if the noise would still be loud, but a bit smoother...

·
Registered
333 Posts
OK thank you - but bottom line is how do I gt rid of the problem?! At present I feel a bit too much of a 'boy racer' in the car because of the popping where as I would prefer if the noise would still be loud, but a bit smoother...
Only one chance would be if your car does not have the software upgrade, you should ask your deaer... other than that the only problem you have is that you don't have a problem ;) give it some time and you'll learn to love that sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK but why...

Apreciate all your answers but one thing does not make sense... why has this 'lean a/f mixture' just started happening. A week ago I was definitely not getting all the pops and slutters on deceleration, at least definitely not at higher speeds. Before it was only on deceleration when coming to a stop approaching lights, etc which I did like. Can eanyone explain that? I have been over a couple of road bumps which I heard scraped the bottom of my car a bit recently... could it be something to do with that?

·
Registered
333 Posts
The software upgrade wouldnt help...
Ali, 02-04 models before the upgrade used to run rough just like described by Spyderccman, my car was one of those... of course a more aggressive ECU program should solve it because it would address the same issue. Definitely going for the FD ECU upgrade would be a better solution cuz it would solve the problem and it would also improve performance.

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
It could be several problems:

Catalytic converter failure, Air / Fuel Mixture. Usually gurgling and bangs on deccelleration are not a good thing. This is different from lean pops as others have described.

If it it just an Air / Fuel mixture problem, we can correct that with our Performance ECU.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss it. I'll try to help point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Apreciate all your answers but one thing does not make sense... why has this 'lean a/f mixture' just started happening. A week ago I was definitely not getting all the pops and slutters on deceleration, at least definitely not at higher speeds. Before it was only on deceleration when coming to a stop approaching lights, etc which I did like. Can eanyone explain that? I have been over a couple of road bumps which I heard scraped the bottom of my car a bit recently... could it be something to do with that?
Have the car checked for exhaust leaks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.