Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4200 Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting more and more confident driving my car, I was wondering about the Traction Control and MSP in the car. The issue I have with it is, that it is very early to engage and takes a long time to give the power back to you. The second part is not really the problem, because if the MSP does have to step in, I want the car to be in a safe position again when I get the power back.

The first part about the early engagement is what grinds my gears. I do tend to drive in smaller backroads that do sometimes have rougher surfaces.
Breaking before a corner then steering is all fine but then stepping on the throttle mid to end corner makes the front understeer just a little. This would be absolutely no problem but the MSP takes over, cuts most of the power and releases it some time after the corner is finished.
This makes for a very odd driving experience.
Also if the car gets some slipping on one of the back wheels, MSP cuts the power, same thing. I mean the car does have a limited slip diff as standard but no means to use it.
Driving with the MSP turned off completely transforms the experience. Suddenly you can feel the capability in the corners, you get some feedback from the tires that show you the limit.

Turning the MSP off however is nothing I want to do for a casual drive. It takes so much more attention to not make any kind of mistake that endangers you, or worse, anyone around you.

Is there any way around this? For example Porsche from the same era had a setting to allow a bit more slippage before the systems took over, but even the normal setting would allow more than the MSP system. Is there a similar setting for the MSP in our cars?

I read from the manual, that the "Sport" or "Power" button would alter the skyhook stiffness, change the mode of the Cambiocorsa and change the traction control.
The changes for Skyhook and Cambiocorsa are very well documented but wheter this button changes the traction control is not.

My car is a manual from 2004 and currently does not have skyhook. There is no Sport/Power button in the center console.
The center console however was changed by a previous owner because of the sticky button issue. I do know this, because i have a button with "ASR" on it, but if i press it, in the Dashboard "MSP" would light up. Unfortunately I do not certainly know wheter the car was equipped with skyhook. There are connectors for skyhook in the wheel well.

Did even cars without the option get the cables and connectors for skyhook?
Is there any way to retrofit a sport button, does the car need to be coded for this?
Does the Sport button even do anything for the Traction Control/MSP?

I hope I can get some clarity for this,

Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'll try to help, but as my car has skyhook, I may be giving bad info.
1. Skyhook shocks are silver with a wire on top, stock non Skyhook are yellow. No idea about connections and cables.
2. Yes, sport mode changes CC shifting, stiffens the Skyhook, and allows some slippage of the MSP system.
3. I have no experience with non Skyhook cars, so I don't know if the manual ones even came with a sport button.
4. In my manual Spyder, on smooth roads, I drive in Sport most of the time, it lets me play around a bit, without getting in trouble.

·
Registered
2004 Maserati Coupe CC
133 Posts
Michael - similar problem noticed here regarding MSP, especially on the track, where I don't trust myself without MSP, yet the MSP seriously interferes with turn exit acceleration on hard turns.

There is no "middle way" for the MSP, unfortunately. In the "I wish" bin, add my wish for the ability to adjust MSP settings using Launch X431 or equivalent.

Regarding the Sport button and Skyhook, there is an ECU related to the suspension control that you'd have to make sure you have, and configured correctly for your installation. There are tons of threads on here related to troubleshooting Skyhook that should help you find all of the relevant parts. Plus, using drawings on Scuderia or EuroSpares for reference.

Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
4200 Manual
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers, so Todd you don't think your "Sport" button changes the MSP settings in any way? Oishi you do think the Sport button also changes MSP settings?

I did now convert to a pressable button for the "Sport" position, but Sport-Mode cannot be activated. So there has some coding to be done.
Proceeding from here depends on whether the Sport button does something for the MSP.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport
628 Posts
Interested in this thread as I'm also looking for a way to isolate the skyhook suspension from the Sport mode. I would like confirmation about whether the Sport mode also remaps the MSP - I would suspect it does. Will try running without MSP on today (in sport mode) and see if I see any difference. I have Launch and will take a look but don't recall seeing any options about MSP.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't know what the exact relationship between MSP and Sport is, but with Sport off, and MSP on, I can't break the backend loose with the throttle. With Sport on and MSP on, I can get some brief wiggle from the rear. With Sport on, MSP off all bets are off. As Richard Hammond said, " it's an unruly beast !"

·
Registered
2006 Gransport
628 Posts
This may help a bit. Sport may have no impact on MSP. My guess would be that they may read sensor feeds from each other but do not actually interact.

Attachments

Reactions: StickyP

·
Registered
4200 GT
56 Posts
I have a manual facelift car...
I have removed Skyhook, and as part of the conversion, disabled the sport function; as this only affacts the Skyhook parameters being a manual car, to not do so, the dash will show a constant Skyhook warning light...
I just about always disable MSP/ASR via the button. As yopu say, the maserati nanny aids are really very intrusive...
A car that under steers when pushed into the apex is inherently safer than a car that oversteers and leaves you facing your recent past from a ditch...Part of changing the Skyhook enabled me to adjust geo to nake for a neutral set up...
If its chucking it down with rain, i will leave the MSP on ( default setting is enabled) but my tyres arent made for crappy cold, wet conditions....
MSP/ASR is overkill in most situations..I can assure you it will step in to wrestle control of the car alot more than necessary. Driving with the function disabled will make you realise it is really a party pooper, not a life saver...
My two cents...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts