Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
2,999 Posts
No actual data, but you will use slightly more in sport compared to auto most likely..Just because of the fact it holds each gear longer and doesn't short shift...Jason

·
Registered
504 Posts
2014 GT
my best mileages to date, per tank of gas: (running about 15-20 miles after the gas light/quarter tank mark)

465 miles on the hwy 100% auto mode
330 miles on the hwy 100% sport mode

290 miles in the city 100% sport mode

I have no data for 100% auto mode in the city as i never drive that way!

·
Registered
516 Posts
2014 GT
my best mileages to date, per tank of gas: (running about 15-20 miles after the gas light/quarter tank mark)

465 miles on the hwy 100% auto mode
330 miles on the hwy 100% sport mode

290 miles in the city 100% sport mode

I have no data for 100% auto mode in the city as i never drive that way!
sounds about right with what jason said. if you note the RPM held on the highway at that speed, it'll likely be in 5th gear instead of 6th gear. it rides out all the gears longer/higher rpm.

290 miles city on a ~20 gallon tank.... nearly 15mpg seems pretty alright. definitely in the ballpark of pickup truck economy, which is what i would expect.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
We had this discussion before. There is no "sport" vs "auto" on the DS cars. Not sure about late model automaticas. There is a "Sport" on/off and an "Auto" on/off. Separate functions controlled by two different buttons creating 4 separate settings. So to summarize, in the DS cars, you can have Sport-Manual, Sport-Auto, Non-Sport Manual, and Non-Sport Auto.

·
Registered
504 Posts
We had this discussion before. There is no "sport" vs "auto" on the DS cars. Not sure about late model automaticas. There is a "Sport" on/off and an "Auto" on/off. Separate functions controlled by two different buttons creating 4 separate settings. So to summarize, in the DS cars, you can have Sport-Manual, Sport-Auto, Non-Sport Manual, and Non-Sport Auto.
By your breakdown, i am definitely always in the "Sport Manual" mode as i always use the paddle shifters to change gears vs. leaving the gear shift in automatic.

·
Registered
504 Posts
sounds about right with what jason said. if you note the RPM held on the highway at that speed, it'll likely be in 5th gear instead of 6th gear. it rides out all the gears longer/higher rpm.

290 miles city on a ~20 gallon tank.... nearly 15mpg seems pretty alright. definitely in the ballpark of pickup truck economy, which is what i would expect.
My tank is more than 20 gallons, last fill up i pumped in almost 22 gallons. Making my 290 miles in the city more like 13 mpg's :whistle:

·
Registered
516 Posts
My tank is more than 20 gallons, last fill up i pumped in almost 22 gallons. Making my 290 miles in the city more like 13 mpg's :whistle:
with a 75L tank and 7.5L reserve capacity.... god speed on that 22 gallon fill up, did you coast in with the engine giving up the ghost?

·
Registered
504 Posts
with a 75L tank and 7.5L reserve capacity.... god speed on that 22 gallon fill up, did you coast in with the engine giving up the ghost?
i did indeed...lol
it was on purpose just to get an idea of how much fuel i could pump.... research you know :p
(who knows how accurate those pumps are these days anyway)

·
Registered
233 Posts
i did indeed...lol
it was on purpose just to get an idea of how much fuel i could pump.... research you know :p
(who knows how accurate those pumps are these days anyway)

2009 QP5 ZF auto does not shift into overdrive in sport mode, therefor less fuel economy on the highway.

·
Registered
516 Posts
2009 QP5 ZF auto does not shift into overdrive in sport mode, therefor less fuel economy on the highway.
it does, as does the GT, it just stays one gear lower than what would be selected in normal mode to maintain that higher rpm in the power band. ratio for 5th is 0.867 and 6th is 0.691.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Be aware, there is a problem with the VVT system if you stay in Normal all the time. There is an older thread somewhere in here describing that problem. Staying in Normal all the time doesn't supply enough oil pressure to keep the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) system healthy and costs 6-$8000 to repair. Just thought you should know...

·
Super Moderator
3,882 Posts
Umm, sorry that makes no sense at all. The oil pressure is going to be pretty much nothing to do with Normal or Sports mode.

C

2,999 Posts
Be aware, there is a problem with the VVT system if you stay in Normal all the time. There is an older thread somewhere in here describing that problem. Staying in Normal all the time doesn't supply enough oil pressure to keep the VVT (Variable Valve Timing) system healthy and costs 6-$8000 to repair. Just thought you should know...
I love the internet...A person post something and then other people keep posting it like it is gospel without any regard to actual facts....Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
The discussion on the VVT system is in the CAM VARIATOR thread, which postulates on several causes for the expensive variator failures people have experienced. Hydraulic oil pressure is proportional to engine rpm, which is why the transmission mode was considered as a source of the problem in the thread. Re-reading the thread I came to the conclusion that the problem is more likely the mounting orientation of the accumulator causing uneven seal wear, then accumulator failure is not diagnosed until the variator failure recurs as the new parts wear out a second time. It also seems to affect the Dry Sump systems far more than the later Wet Sump systems. It's a long thread, but the issue seems to be a problem a number of owners have experienced. I may still have this wrong, can someone chime in who knows the final answer?

It would help brand new owners like me Jason if you would add in a brief summary of the facts since I was mislead by the discussion in other thread.

2,999 Posts
I fix variators on cars with both the wet sump and dry sump systems...I know what causes the wet sumps ones to fail...I'm not sure why the bushings seem to wear on some dry sump cars and not others...4200 cars never seem to have the problem and not all QPs do either...I feel like it is better to just say I'm unsure because no one actually knows...I willing to bet I have had more of them apart then anyone on this forum, worked on cars 30 years, and built race engines.. Still don't have a solid answer and I don't do theories...BTW...This isn't a huge problem on dry sump cars...It just seems like it on here...I work on dry sump cars all the time that don't make a hint of noise.....Jason

1 - 20 of 24 Posts