Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I went to a bike rally last night and saw some interesting bikes. Sorry about the photos in advance they are from a camera phone. I have varied taste in vehicles, I have a Maserati Spyder, Mercedes C55 AMG Mercedes, for cars. I have fun building Jeep Wranglers I posted photos last winter of one I built up that included many modifications. This years Jeep Wrangler we stuffed a Chevy 350 4 bolt main engine from a 67' or 69' Chevelle, 700R4 transmission with a Ford Expedition 8.8 rear end to handle the torque. These I am sure are considered more extreme SUVs with the lift kits, and massive tires. Obviously not something you just normal everyday drive.

Well, I like Sport bikes as well. Currently I own a Honda Repsol edition CBR 1000rr, full Gp moto racing exhaust, titanium cans, stainless steel pipes. Power commander to dial in the fuel maps for where I want them a little better. Sorry, Ducati fans I don't want all of my vehicles to be Italian. I do like to at times go extremely fast......speaking of fast check out these modifications they did to these baggers. Okay the first couple of pics are just the paint jobs they did on these bikes the last ones are two baggers with turbos these gentlemen put on their bikes. The gold one has gauges down the fuel cell.

Now, I am personally not a bagger type of person but that P-40 (More of a Sport Cruiser I think) I like that rough look. When he had that thing running you could hear two things. First the turbo whine, very distinct. Second, did you see the Gatling gun insert into the rear of the exhaust? When the bike is running it spins around in circles just like a Gatling.....The turbo is liquid cooled, and I did notice he definitely wrapped that exhaust up!! LOL he wasn't trying to burn his leg I'm sure. Still I bet it's pretty warm.......

Here's some photos of my current bike:

Here's a photo of a previous bike I had that I fully customized.... it was a V-Twin Sport bike, like a Ducati. I had the fairings all done, and clear-coated all of the sponsor stickers into it. Full racing exhaust, and I dialed in the ecu with a Yoshimura Fuel Injection Adjuster box. Bit more accurate than a Power commander for this bike without a Dyno. I have a youtube video somewhere of Blue Leds that I tucked into the bike with a remote. It made it look like the bike was breathing at night as it was going down the street. It had flashing capabilities, and constant as well. I did the seat as well to match the bike and windshield. I went to the Repsol because though V-Twins have a lot of torque/power on the low end, they RPM out sooner, and it takes them just a bit longer to get up to their top speeds.

Figured I would share some other stuff I do here when I am not working on cars. When I want to go extremely fast, and get there really quick I usually grab my bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very nice CBR Craig, digging the Arrow exhaust.

I currently have a 2012 R1, has a few things done to it. Full Akrapovic EVO II exhaust, stainless braided brake lines, adjustable susp. linkage, just put on the "double bubble" windscreen and my ASV levers should be here in a day or two...

I previously owned a bike similar to your old one Craig, although its competitor, the RC51. It was an 04 with all sorts of mods done to it thanks to the previous owner. Before that one I have had a couple R6's.

Or how about Supermoto?!?!

I love my SM, I will keep this Husqvarna until I can find something that is worthy enough to replace it.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice CBR Craig, digging the Arrow exhaust.

I currently have a 2012 R1, has a few things done to it. Full Akrapovic EVO II exhaust, stainless braided brake lines, adjustable susp. linkage, just put on the "double bubble" windscreen and my ASV levers should be here in a day or two...

I previously owned a bike similar to your old one Craig, although its competitor, the RC51. It was an 04 with all sorts of mods done to it thanks to the previous owner. Before that one I have had a couple R6's.

Or how about Supermoto?!?!

I love my SM, I will keep this Husqvarna until I can find something that is worthy enough to replace it.....
ahhh yes the RC-51, these bikes were nice. But man they are heavy, I always felt like I was stopping a train when I was trying to stop quick. That RC-51 would have definitely got the Suzuki......well you would of if you knew how to ride, and you don't have those bikes if you didn't.
I find out here it's all about knowing how to drive these bikes. So many kids, they are practicing wheelies and everything else instead of practicing some fundamentals like knee dragging in the corners, and making it stick. I beat out a couple of guys on R1's with that V-Twin for no other reason than they didn't know how to ride. It scares them to death when they see me that close to the ground. The truth of the matter is, you cannot stop one of these bikes going fast. You have a better chance of defensive maneuvering. I have a younger guy who wanted me to teach him to ride.......I took him over to the Home Depot parking lot in the middle of the night and made him do figure 8's the whole time. I kept telling him to get it close to the ground, and lean it. Nothing else.......that same guy could hang with me anywhere around the city on his R6 when I was done.

Speaking of fast, nice R1, and nice mods......remember keep the shiny side up, and if you are racing and see Jesus you went to fast my man!!!:laugh:
A guy was messing around last night with a brand new Gixxer 1000 with me, he of course thought cause I am a bit older, he had a brand new bike. I didn't know what I was doing, and surely he could beat me. You know the young guy thing. We were in a remote long stretch of road, and he had this cut off exhaust and kept down shifting trying to play with me..........I stopped looking at the speedo at 170 mph. I do know he was back there somewhere! Where I don't know but when he did catch up he realized I've been there a few times before!:laugh:

No Supermoto for me my man, but it looks like you really enjoy this stuff huh? It's a very nice bike, haven't tried Husqvarna bikes but their chainsaws are the best! LOL!:rolleyes::D
Does that count?! I know it's fun man.....if I only had time for all of it.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got rid of it a few years ago...but here's a photo of the '03 HD V-Rod that I used to ride, #thegood'oledays :biker:
That's a bike I definitely would not hesitate to steal.....opps sorry..... ride,....ride that's what I mean't! :laugh: Very nice Theronh, they had a place for you last night where I was at. Actually they had a place for both types of bikes last night. That's very nice. You know honestly, even in the Spyder, and the wind blowing, it's still not riding a bike. I mean of course, speed, and agility, there's no question a bike wins. But it's that sensation that you got nothing else around you. No seat belt, no safety devices or metal to protect you. Every pull on the throttle the wind fights to blow you off that bike. I think I will always have one. Theronh you need to get one again man, come on man I know you miss it. Heck they would stare at that bike almost as much as the Mas. I know it. :D:thumbsup::autofahrer:

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
I had a cruiser for a couple of years. It was fun but I always "rode" it. I then switched to a Ducati Streetfighter and now I "drive" making the experience much more enjoyable. I'd never go back to a cruiser. Fwiw, the 2012 Streetfighter is the best bike I've ever ridden, bar none, no question. They got everything right with these. The perfect balance of weight vs. power, spry handling vs. solid feel. The Harley was cool and I like riding it but this is a whole different experience. My vote is Sport Bike.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That's a bike I definitely would not hesitate to steal.....opps sorry..... ride,....ride that's what I mean't! :laugh: Very nice Theronh, they had a place for you last night where I was at. Actually they had a place for both types of bikes last night. That's very nice. You know honestly, even in the Spyder, and the wind blowing, it's still not riding a bike. I mean of course, speed, and agility, there's no question a bike wins. But it's that sensation that you got nothing else around you. No seat belt, no safety devices or metal to protect you. Every pull on the throttle the wind fights to blow you off that bike. I think I will always have one. Theronh you need to get one again man, come on man I know you miss it. Heck they would stare at that bike almost as much as the Mas. I know it. :D:thumbsup::autofahrer:
Not gonna lie to ya bro, I do miss riding...and I've been contemplating on getting another scooter...:thinking2:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had a cruiser for a couple of years. It was fun but I always "rode" it. I then switched to a Ducati Streetfighter and now I "drive" making the experience much more enjoyable. I'd never go back to a cruiser. Fwiw, the 2012 Streetfighter is the best bike I've ever ridden, bar none, no question. They got everything right with these. The perfect balance of weight vs. power, spry handling vs. solid feel. The Harley was cool and I like riding it but this is a whole different experience. My vote is Sport Bike.
yeah the last time I had a sports bike, was back in '88...got 18 tickets in one day, on my YSR750 #beenthere/donethat

·
Super Moderator
3,302 Posts
I've owned many motorcycles over the years. None of them for dirt, and none with bags. They didn't all have fairings, but most did. The most important thing I learned about motorcycles (not riding) is: Unless you have TODAY's best, not yesterday's best, the fastest, lightest, most advanced bike of the minute; you have a cruiser. If you're going to have a cruiser (which includes yesterday's best bike) get on you like, that fits you and that you can keep for a while. Sure I like going quickly through the mountains, that's why I have velcro on my knee pucks. I just don't pretend one bike is better than another for anyone but me.

All the motorcycles pictured are cool. Some cooler than others (I have a soft spot for sport bikes). The only bike I can't get out of my head is a YZR500 replica. Wayne Rainey, Eddie Lawson stuff. Guess I'll have to buy/build one someday :rolleyes:

·
Registered
85 Posts
All the motorcycles pictured are cool. Some cooler than others (I have a soft spot for sport bikes). The only bike I can't get out of my head is a YZR500 replica. Wayne Rainey, Eddie Lawson stuff. Guess I'll have to buy/build one someday :rolleyes:

You an me both.....would I would give to have a chance to throw a leg over on of those....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do agree Dave, and yes the replica would be nice.....To be honest, the way they are building Sports bikes now a days, at least for the passed 7-8 years, all of them are so very quick I don't know they are really "out-dating" so much like they used to. Kind of an example, I am pushing right at/above 150 hp at the rear wheel (opposed to at the crank), when on the street out here who's really going to mess with that whether it's newer, or even with more horsepower. I live more in a city environment, there are some spots you can get around quick in, but take for instance the beast of a Hayabusa unless we are in wide open spaces he cannot use it. The bike is huge, and the potential to open it up and wreck it are that much greater. When on the highways, they have to be emptied for me to even feel comfortable to open it up a little. Let's see in 1st gear I can hit about 80 mph right above 11,000 rpms, in 2nd 105mph right above the same rpms ect. I do agree with you, enjoy the bike you have when it comes to Sports bikes. When your on the street, you really will never know whether your bike is better, faster, stronger unless you live in areas where you can do that sort of thing. I have to drive an hour away before I can get close to it. Unfortunately, I would have to drive to New Hampshire to get on a track. I've never been close to the top speed on this bike with all the mods. To be honest, though I've never been on or in something faster besides an airplane, I will never know unless I can get on it in the Salt flats. I would never feel comfortable at 200 mph out here. In a secluded place short bursts of speed maybe, but never it's top speed.

·
Super Moderator
3,302 Posts
Craig, that really is the bigger point isn't it? Who has more fun, the 1000rr or the TZR250? Answer: both. Neither can be ridden to potential on the street, so just enjoy.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's a lot to like with bikes that fit in between sport bikes and cruisers. :cheers:
Oh it's true, I didn't mean to be partial and reject anything in-between.....please post pics lets see it. You must have something there!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
They keep a few Diavels at the shop where I get service and they seem to have a lot of bells and whistles for a Ducati, a brand known more for performance than technology. I've never driven one (though the store owner strongly suggested that I try it) but if the engine and drive-train pack the typical Ducati oomph then it could be a great all-around winner. Aesthetically it's in a different house than what I'm used to in a motorcycle but then it seems to be more of a function-oriented bike and I'll bet it's a helluva lot of fun on long trips.

·
Registered
59 Posts
bikes

bikes are fun! i have been riding since they put lawn mower motors into mini bikes 70s i guess. had mostly jap bikes later (they were cheap and never broke) had several enduros (harley 71 350sx) that were fun too. here is a pic of where i'm at now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts