Maserati Forum banner

Speedometer & Odometer

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  BigFoot 
#1 ·
I have noticed on three different "speed guns" or radar speed displays that my 04 cambiocorsa coupe odometer reads approx. 5 mph higher in the car than shown on the speed gun/display. (The office where I work has a long straight entraance road and our safety guys installed the speed detector displays on the road to remind us to be safe. Plus, I noticed it on a similar display on a "highway" near me a couple times. I think I saw something posted on here a few months ago about similar results occurring with others here.

So, my question is: If the speedometer is showing I'me driving more miles per hour than I really am, is the odometer ALSO showing I am driving more miles than I really am? If that's true, then some of us may actually have 5% to 15% less miles on our cars than the odometer shows. That's great for the engine life, etc. but shows more miles at time of resale of course.

Does anyone know whether the odometers are correct, even if the speedometer is off several %, and whether it reads higher than the actual miles traveled?

#2 · (Edited)
According to my GPS unit, my speedometer reads 3 mph fast at 65 mph. I don't know if my odometer is putting on miles faster than actual. In truth, I think most, if not all cars, have speedos that read 3-5 mph fast at highway speed.

#3 ·
---Does anyone know whether the odometers are correct, even if the speedometer is off several %, and whether it reads higher than the actual miles traveled?

Your observations are very correct. Most are off 3%-5%. My 360 is about 5%.I have not figured that one out as to the rationale.

We can only assume that the mileage is accurate but the speed is not. However, that is an assumption, and the only way to know is to drive a known mile marker.

I remember back East that there were many roads that had a 1, 2, and 3 mile marks to enable one to verify speed and odo readings.

I would guess that the mileage is accurate but you raise a valid point as this would certainly wind the warranty mileage aspect faster than it should be!

let's all check mileage and find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.