Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both the local Maz dealer and I are out of ideas. The speedo (and Skyhook) on my '05 GS don't work. I suspect this has to do with aftermarket radio installation, but who knows?

When I got the car, it had an aftermarket stereo that I didn't like. I had a local shop (good reputation, does lots of Maz, Ferrari, etc. work) install an Alpine head unit, amplifiers, etc. Within 5 minutes after picking up the car at the radio shop, I got the Skyhook warning light and the speedo stopped functioning.

Since then the car has been back to the stereo shop, who searched for a problem, then back to the Maz dealer who replaced the speedo (warranty), all to no avail. It went back to the stereo shop who examined all their work again and could find nothing amiss. So, a few weeks later, it went back to the Maz dealer, who spent several days searching, still no luck.

Their latest recommendation is to take the car to a stereo dealer and have them disconnect every nonfactory wire they can find, then have the car towed to the Maz dealer, for further inspection.

Wow!

As far as I can tell, the car drives just fine. If the Skyhook were misbehaving, I might not realize that. So my problem is, simply, I have no speedo (nor odometer, and maybe no Skyhook).

I will bow, scrape, praise, laud, and pay a good sum of money to someone who can figure out what's going on and how it can be fixed (not just worked around).

Of course, I could just rely on my GPS for speed and distance, but that's not very satisfying in such an otherwise fine car. :mad:

HELP!

Thanx.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Altho the speedo doesn't move from the instant you start driving, it can take the Skyhook error light a couple of minutes to come on.

About once every 50 drives, the speedo moves a bit but always reads 20mph or so below actual speed.

I assume, as does the dealer, that the Skyhook warning light is triggered because Skyhook is speed sensitive, and without a speed input, registers an error.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Right, something is clearly pulling your VSS down. Did they hook your new deck to the speed signal? (for speed sensitive volume?) Tried cutting that wire (to the deck)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Speedo problem

This is a very common problem. It happens due to jump start or no power in battery.
You need to replace and reprogram Maserati interface module under driver side steering.
Maserati dealers don't know to program. It is very technical and detail programming and unfortunately Maserati service people are not technical.

·
Registered
723 Posts
This is a very common problem. It happens due to jump start or no power in battery.
You need to replace and reprogram Maserati interface module under driver side steering.
Maserati dealers don't know to program. It is very technical and detail programming and unfortunately Maserati service people are not technical.
Ok I think it's time to ban this guy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts