Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share my experience with a Broker who sells Specialty car insurance, Leland West.

they offer a lower cost alternative to the traditional Major carriers. they have restictions on Miliage, use, and storage of the vehicle. the Policy is restrictive, as is their customer service.

I felt, what a great idea for my Lotus Elan. I drive it very little and was paying StFarm $1400 year for coverage. I did an online quote and the costs from them was approx $450.

Well, once I got into it, the Premium rose to $688, add in a $42 application fee. I figured I was still saving 50%.

the Point of my Story, I have not felt so Spoken down to, and the there are more HOOPS to jump through than in the NBA. They wanted Proof of Coverages for my other cars. They wanted photos of my car, they wanted photos of my garage. I obliged. They wanted my GF excluded from my Policy. I agreed 100%, I wanted her excluded as well. Then they wanted her Insurance Documents. I argued with them, she is excluded, why does she need to provide you with information? If she drives the car and wrecks it, you are not liable for anything. I understand.

then I got my Policy, they had my DOB wrong, they had the Coverages wrong. It went on and on, and NO ONE there listens to you. They have an agenda and they block out any rational discussion. There quoted rates differed from what I was being given, then what was on their website. They wanted ME to fax THEM, their own QUOTE. They kept putting up ROADBLOCK after ROADBLOCK.

It was almost like they didn't care if I cancelled. I took this as a sign that in the event I needed them, I had ZERO confidence they had my back.

I cancelled today and am now back to paying double at State Farm who welcomed me back with OPEN ARMS.

SORRY FOR VENT!, I feel better now..........

·
Registered
240 Posts
what is everyone paying for insurance here? (yes we know age,sex,location,driving record,use of auto all vary)

just wondering what everyone is paying

on my bmw m3 convertible

(live in phoenix,az, perfect driving record) with USAA $1000 dec. I pay $968 every 6 months. On my acura RSX S I paid $875.

I would accept up $1200 for every 6 months on a Maserati spider

·
Registered
635 Posts
$503.00 every 6 months through State Farm for my 2002 GT Coupe.

And, $420.00 per year for the '83 Lamborghini Jalpa through Grundy Worldwide.

·
Registered
240 Posts
good to see rates are not that bad at all.

what rates did the special insurance company offer you vs Allstate or state farm?

what were the prices like?

·
Registered
824 Posts
You get what you pay for!

I drove one of my prior cars off a small cliff (long story) in the Wenatchee forest on a TSD rally. (totalled it)

State Farm was upset with me.... next day they had the check ready and it took me 2 days to pick it up, why wasn't I faster taking their money? :)

Oh yeah, they paid me $3000 more than I paid new for the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I pay $2000 per YEAR to cover 4 cars with Encompas, very full very conventional coverage; no restrictions of consequence :)

86 Volvo 740, 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 02 Lexus SC430, 02 Coupe cc

This works because there are 2 drivers and 4 cars. My wife is 61, I am 56. The only restriction was no young (less than 25 y.o.) drivers in the houshold (no problem - my 17 y.o. old son decided to go live with his mother anyway). We have very clean driving records.

In the real world I drive the Jeep daily, my son has borrowed the Volvo, my wife drives the Lexus daily

I had looked into Grundy and Haggerty when I was buying the cc. The cost with either was was about $50 lower than the Encompas charge ($660) for the Maser. Lots of restrictions and requirements (as described above). Not worth the $50. The funny part was after I signed up the paper work came back calling the Maser a Spyder. I called my broker. She asked if the VIN was correct. She then called back and said not to worry they only know of the existance of the Spyder. So long as the VIN is correct you are ok. Go figure.

The moral of this story is go buy 2 beaters as your primary rides. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Living in Santa Barbara, and also insuring a Lexus GX 470 for my wife and a Yukon XL to tow the boat, plus a couple of Forerunners for kids, my '05 QP costs me about $750 per year. I have $1,000 deductible but high liability coverage. Also, we have very good driving records.

Art

·
Registered
134 Posts
Insurance for GS in California

Hello everyone,
can you please recommend auto insurance companies for a 06 GS. What are the typical rates i should expect to pay?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I register all of my vehicles under company names except for my maser which is 5600 per year through progressive with SR22 insurance
26 year old male
2 previous suspensions one for excessive speed and another for habitual violator
no accidents

once I am off of SR insurance (May I think) I will roll this to Hagerty clasic and exotic insurance

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Head said:
I register all of my vehicles under company names except for my maser which is 5600 per year through progressive with SR22 insurance

You may want to reconsider the company owned vehicle route. I own a small speciality electrical contracting company. Three sevice trucks, a 05 Tahoe for my salesman and a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee for me as company vehicles. After talking with my insurance broker last year I took the Jeep off the company policy and insure it personally. The premium went to $500 from $1600 per year. This also helped with the Maser as there are more cars than drivers on my personal insurance

·
Registered
74 Posts
futrmgownr said:
Hello everyone,
can you please recommend auto insurance companies for a 06 GS. What are the typical rates i should expect to pay?
Allstate is $1,500 a year for 05 GS, 06 M5, and 07 Q7. High liability and low $500 deductibles. Good driving record, no teenagers.

Viriginia is not a great state for plaintiff's attorneys, which impacts the insurance.

One of 4 states with "contributory negligence" laws, which essentially say that if you're even 1% responsible for an accident, you can't sue.

·
Registered
518 Posts
enjoymycoupe said:
The Head said:

You may want to reconsider the company owned vehicle route. I own a small speciality electrical contracting company. Three sevice trucks, a 05 Tahoe for my salesman and a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee for me as company vehicles. After talking with my insurance broker last year I took the Jeep off the company policy and insure it personally. The premium went to $500 from $1600 per year. This also helped with the Maser as there are more cars than drivers on my personal insurance
the company is an automotive shop/restoration company that holds the primary amount of the cars...I register them to the business because insurance comes off of my taxable net that way instead of paying income tax only to turn around and pay my insurance...the only reason the Maser is in my name is because I need a vehicle registered to me with SR22 or I cannot have a DL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts