Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because the winters in Germany are quite cold, charging during a longer "hibernation" should be a must for my new 04' Spyder.
I looked very intensively in the forum to find an answer for the following question without any sucess:
I have a trickle charger from my Porsche with a connector for the cigar socket. Now in the trunk of the Spyder beside the battery is a type of a 12V cigar socket installed.
Is it allowed to use this socket for my trickle charger and if yes, can I use it without switching of the electrial circuit with the power switch near the battery.

Despite of my "bad English", I hope , there are some experts here, who understand my question and can answer it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I always hook up my Battery Tender charger if I know car is not going to be driven for more than 2 days at a time. It's a good practice since these FIAAM batteries are notorious for going out fast. I'll replace with an Optima next round.

Back to your question...

I think it would be ok to use your Porsche charger (after all, it's a trickle charger. My Porsche charger was the same one as the one that Ferrari and Maserati sells) but just to make sure that 12v cigar socket is hooked up properly (make sure you get power from it) and make sure that socket is NOT switched otherwise charge won't go in.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Man, are you right.

I left my coupe sitting all snug and warm in my garage for a week and the battery was dead as Bob Marley when I went to start it. Lesson learned. I've got a good charger that can also desulphanate the battery. It goes on for any extended garage stay now.

Question: Is it possible/advisable to switch to a gell battery? That's what my BMW has and it's as reliable as they get.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I use a C-Tek unit (try Amazon or eBay). It's the same unit that's OEM'd to Maserati.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I second the C-Tek! As Vicenzo wrote: with another label - and price - it's sold by Ferrari & Maserati too...

Best part is that you can hook it directly to the battery - a separate cord is supplied with the charger - and then you have a just a small connector that you leave in the car. Think I paid like 40€ for mine at Auto-Unger up here in Bremen...

Anyhow, to answer your question; I would not connect a charger to a cigarette lighter socket.
Firstly you need to know that that socket is always live,
Secondly we do not know anything about the size of the cabling,
Thirdly - even if the lighter socket is always live - use the battery disconnect (black wheel in the trunk) you have also switched off the charging...

HTH
Folke

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I use the same one............

I use the same Battery Tender charger as Paunch and have since the day I bought my Maserati 3 1/2 years ago. I always keep the charger plugged into the battery and I have to say that it starts up every time very quickly. The original (2003) OEM battery was just replaced 2 months ago. I attribute at least some of its 5 year age to the constant charge in the battery thanks to the Tender. Just my input.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I went with the "Maserati" version of the C-TEK battery charger. I had them install it when my FIAMM went bad. They also installed a new Interstate battery too.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.