Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thanks for everyone's effort maintaining a great forum. I have a 2005 Spyder with the auditorium 200 system. Recently the sound all but cut out. At full volume I could barely hear it through the sub woofer located between the seats. I could not hear it at all in any other speaker. The radio and all other features of the NIT seemed to work fine. Only the volume was impaired. The next time I started the car everything worked as normal. After driving a while it all of a sudden cut out again with only the middle speaker having any sound and it was so faint I had to turn the car off to hear it. Again, with the car off there is no detectable sound from any other speaker than the middle sub woofer. I suspected a loose ground wire but after tearing apart the console and inspecting all connections I could not find anything disconnected or loose. All applicable fuses are sound. After putting it back together it worked as normal again (all speakers working) but after driving for awhile I heard two loud thumps which sounded like they came from the trunk but were probably from the subwoofer but then it kept operating normally. I still think it is a loose speaker or amplifier ground. Does anyone have any thoughts on the cause and if a loose ground where I might look for it. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This sounds like the typical failure of the Auditorium amp. Power transistors and related components such as those used in audio amps typically get "scratchy" when they are starting to fail, particularly with age and/or heat-related issues. One of the bench tests for this is to spray the output circuits with "freeze spray" to see if that (temporarily) corrects the issue. Another quick-fix would be to try spraying contact cleaner on the plugs in case they are just getting corrosion or other build-up on them, making a bad circuit connection. Turn off the battery switch in the trunk before messing with any of this. Note that if you do turn off the battery, the factory head-unit will require you to enter the car's radio code for that specific head-unit (anti-theft measure). I hope that you have that information recorded somewhere. This is true of the single-DIN unit used in the 2006 GS; I don't know if the larger NIT unit implements an anti-theft code.

There don't appear to be any good aftermarket drop-in replacements for the Auditorium amp, but some people have had luck in simply bypassing the amp altogether and relying on the amp circuitry in the head-unit, as described here: Gransport Audio Upgrade.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback SteveInNC. I will give your suggestions a try. BTW, I do not believe that the 2005 has the same issue with battery disconnect as the 2006. I have turned off the battery disconnect many times and have had no issue with all systems re-booting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Sock Tucker,

A google search did not turn up a contact for Bovilogic. Can you give me contact information for them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts