Maserati Forum banner

Speaker Upgrade for Auditorium 200 in Coupe GT

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  BeeYouZeeZee 
#1 ·
Following a number of recent threads regarding the up grades various board members are doing to their audio systems I have been spurred into action and want to tackle the speakers in my Auditorium system. Whilst I understand they are a significant improvement over the non auditorium set up, to my ears they still sound thin and lifeless especially when turned up loud. I do not really want to get involved with changing out amps or playing with the NIT system but was looking for something that was relatively straight forward and cost effective, hence the speaker only route.

Does anyone know what size the various speakers are for the Auditorium in the Coupe, are they the same as the stock system or different? Also, any suggestions on what are the most compatible speakers to replace with? I am leaning towards some Infinity Kappas as have had good results with these in the past and they are good value for the quality they give, but other suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Carl

#2 ·
Carl,

I don't have familiarity withthe coupe. However if it is a Blaupunkt built radio, I would look into the Rockford Fosgate 360.2. Leave the factory speakers, and amp and interface between the radio and amp.

Now if maserati of minapolis can post a wiring diagram, i can probably walk you through it.

On the quattroporte, I would disconnect the interior microphone at the amp, and insert the 360.2 processor after the radio before the amp.

you will have 31 bands of EQ to mess with for the 4 corners, sorry sub and center are processed inside the amp.

even though the headunit gives a flat response , the amp makes the freq look like a profile of the himalayas

Jim

#3 ·
Interesting ..

jbondox said:
Carl,

I don't have familiarity withthe coupe. However if it is a Blaupunkt built radio, I would look into the Rockford Fosgate 360.2. Leave the factory speakers, and amp and interface between the radio and amp.

Now if maserati of minapolis can post a wiring diagram, i can probably walk you through it.

On the quattroporte, I would disconnect the interior microphone at the amp, and insert the 360.2 processor after the radio before the amp.

you will have 31 bands of EQ to mess with for the 4 corners, sorry sub and center are processed inside the amp.

even though the headunit gives a flat response , the amp makes the freq look like a profile of the himalayas

Jim
I have a standard 02 Spyder which could do with an amp and speaker upgrade. What would you recommend if I may ask ?

Jonny

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, but my view is that the existing (Auditorium 200)speakers are far from ideal and that the first step to any improvemet would be to swap them out for something that will give a richer punchier sound, but still sound clean, hence my suggestion of some Infinity Kappas. Was also looking at how it might be possible to replace the subs (if they are that - there is certainly a lack of bass) from the rear shelf, but the grills appear to be stuck very firmly in place, unlike the ones in the doors ad rear panels. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Carl

#6 ·
maserati of min (MOM from here on out) Bummer you cant do that for a schematic of teh audio system.

As for the infinity, wel, lit wouldn't be first 20 choices, good speakers but if you are looking for a noticeable improvement, a mass produced chineese speaker isn't going to do it, no matter how much it was computer modeled in the design process. I have been doing MB Quarts for a long, long time. Morel for a few years. I would say it would have to be a morel speaker package hands down. I have done or tried everything out there in my many years of audio systems, Focal, Dyna, Boston, Diamond Audio...etc, and the Morel, well let's just say, Morel would be my first choice, and Quart the second... but there is a huge gap between the 2 :)

You will also need something to power them, for space and quality, i will take the Alpine PDX amplifiers, Rockford Fosgate and JL audio after that (in no order)

But please find a professional to do the install, someone who works regularly with a quarter of a million dollar cars. just so you know they have a good feel for your vehicle. there is way to many chop shops out there, and to be honest, I would feel more comfortable letting joe shmo best buy installer work on my vehicle, because when it burns down, best buy has some good insurance. The caliber of installers today is poor. and just disappointing.

Anyways it is really easy to figure everything in the audio system wire wise once you know where all the components are such as speakers and amp.

#7 ·
Jim

Thanks for your reply. Listened to a set of infinities the other day and was very disappointed, not nearly as rich or full as I remembered them. Have done a little research into Morels and they do look like they may be worth looking out. Problem over here in the UK is that there are very few suppliers, but I am following some leads and will see where it takes me. If I can't track some down I will look into the MB Quartz, as have also had good results with these in the past. Thanks for all your input.

Carl

#8 ·
my pleasure, Also I believe morel actually had a part manufactured in the UK a few years back, so you should be able to find a dealer. Just make sure it is morel that is home based in Israel.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.