Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

Quick question about spark plugs...

I was quoted 600 dollars to change my plugs...

I am assuming it isnt thathard to change plugs... right?

1) What plugs do you guys suggest? I did a search, found lots of reccomendations... Like all OEM maserati parts... Im assuming that the plugs are more politics than quality ;]

2) How does one change the plugs themself? Any help?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey guys...

Quick question about spark plugs...

I was quoted 600 dollars to change my plugs...

I am assuming it isnt thathard to change plugs... right?

1) What plugs do you guys suggest? I did a search, found lots of reccomendations... Like all OEM maserati parts... Im assuming that the plugs are more politics than quality ;]

2) How does one change the plugs themself? Any help?

Thanks guys!
600 bucks..???

As for plugs, the search function is your friend. Discussed several times before. Bah, to avoid you the trouble, use Denso Iridium Pro IU24 plugs rather than the NGK fitted as OEM.

Have not changed them myself, but should not be THAT complicated...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Plugs....

If you have an hour then you can save $500.00 of those bucks... The plugs that Ed recommends will cost you $88.00 bucks, I personally love the Denso plugs, Ed provided me the same information, and then all you need is a 5/8 spark plug socket, 3/8 drive, a couple of extensions to adjust the height and a allen wrench to pull off the coils over each plug and your off and running.

If you haven't changed plugs before you should read the directions and torque the plugs correctly otherwise you just hand tighten them until the crush washers crush and the plug is tight.. It's something you pick up over time. Same for torque specs, you want to get the bolt to enter the stretch zone but not break which keeps the bolt from becoming loose..

You could get a normal service station guy to do it for you once you bought the plugs for about $50.00 and there is nothing special to do.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Maseratiboy - got your PM and I'm sending you someting in the mail that will help your cause. About the plug removal... you'll need a couple hours and some patience.

1) remove all the plastic engine compartment decorations :)
2) the spark plug wire harness for each plug is removed with a hex
3) the "maserati" wire covers have some very small washers that do not always come off easily when you unbolt them. Check each carefully, and remove cover.
4) when the plug wire harness is removed, the plugs are exposed and remove like any other conventional spark plug.
5) gap new plugs (if necessary) and replace
6) reverse procedure for 3-2-1 wire and plug harness removal

·
Registered
722 Posts
My idle is very slightly rough, like uneven ignition. Do Denso Iridiums clean this up? My experience is that a spark plug is pretty much a plug, as long as it's in the right heat range, etc.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Rough Idle...

Rough idle is either a bad plug or dirty fuel injectors for the most part....

·
Registered
722 Posts
It's not really rough, just not Camry-smooth. I need to drive another again for comparison, I guess. The car only has 4K miles on it, so I'm assuming it's typical.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A little rough is normal...

You have a lot more cam than any toyota.... If it's surging you have a problem, if it just fluctuates by less than 100 rpm or so, then I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts