Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an opinion on the optional spare tire? It is a mini spare with a compressor to inflate it. I have this item in my Spyder and it is a pain. It takes up a lot of room and since there is no cover, it gets everything you put in the trunk dirty. I guess I could get a blanket or something to cover it but I am wondering if a can of tire sealant is just as good.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
My Spyder doesn't have the spare - guess it was an option that the previous owner didn't 'opt' for. It does have the kit for sealing the tire and an inflator though. In my opinion, I'd leave the spare out, clean up the trunk and use it for extra storage on trips (especially if you have the Spyder).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I understand this may be a bigger issue with Spyders, but I love having the spare in my GranSport. This is my daily commuter and I already had a nail in a sidewall of one tire (didn't notice until I got home, but needed to buy a new tire). I would not want to get stranded and risk an incompetent towtruck driver damaging my car; the optional spare is a lot cheaper.. ;)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Flash - I check for you on EuroSpares and found what I believe is what you're looking for....see Option 6 callout for the spare carpet cover. Looks like it runs about $145 US.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Vicenzo. I checked it out and I agree that the part title looks correct. The picture of it does not really match the way my car is set up though. The Eurospares parts disgram shows the cover sitting flat and covering the whole spare wheel well. This would work perfectly if the spare actually fit in the well.

The problem is the spare actually sticks up above the level of the wheel well quite a bit because it is too big and therefore it is mounted at an angle in the side of the well by a large bolt. It is hard to describe in words but a flat cover definately won't work (unless of course I got rid of the spare).

Does anyone else have the spare in the Spyder and if so, did your car come with some sort of contoured factory cover?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got it covered

I have an '04 Spyder - the spare is mounted in the trunk so it sticks above the rest of the trunk with the high side being toward the rear of the car. It has what looks to be a factory cover that is molded to cover the tire and tapers into the rest of the trunk. Not a great description but bottom line is that it is covered by what appears to be a cover that was made for the car.
It is a donut spare - not a full size tire.
Save Ferris.
Ollie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts