Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a spare tire for the 2006 GranSport.
The dealer wants $2000 for a spare tire kit.

I also heard a special tire can be run flat, anybody here of this?

Thanks,
Reniliu

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have one in my Spyder but it is not for sale.

The alternatives are either a can of tire repair goop or run flat tires. The goop is OK for a small hole but it could leave you stranded if you have major damage. The run flats are a lot better but they are expensive, and very heavy (roughly 7 lbs per tire more than stock). The latter point is a real issue because this weight is equivilant to carrying an extra 140lbs on the chassis due to the fact that tires are unprung weight and are subject to centrigual force (BTW: the Maserati is a very heavy car that desperatly needs to lose weight not gain more). To put this in perspective, adding that much that extra weight is equivilant to losing about 15 HP if you have a coupe. Considering that mods to add power average about $150 per HP, I would recomend buying the spare over the run flats or take your chances with the goop.

The downside to the sapre kit is that it takes up a lot of space because it partially protudes above the floor level of the car and sits at about a 45 degree angle. In other words it actually protrudes in to the trunk space. This may not be an issue with coupe though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spare tire for a GS

Thank you for the reply. I think the best is to buy a spare tire from the dealer
the kit includes the jack, small compressor,a new cover for the trunk and new
bolts. I can not imagine take a long trip without a spare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts