Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mechanic Told Me That When You Come To A Stop Sign In 2nd Gear,to Always Go Down To First Gear As There Is Too Much Slip On The Clutch In 2nd Gear, Good Point There As I Grew Up In South Phila Doin' The Slide.

06 Qp Sport
06 Gs Spyder
06 Gs Coupe (incoming)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Without the DBW, shifting from 2nd to 1st is awful, unless the car is completely stopped. But with it is very smooth and I feel more comfortable doing it now.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
There's a little delay. When you do a quick stop and wants to go right a way you have to downshift yourself, and if the car is not completely stopped ("rolling stop") you're going to get that "clunk". That's without the DBW.

·
Registered
262 Posts
There's a little delay. When you do a quick stop and wants to go right a way you have to downshift yourself, and if the car is not completely stopped ("rolling stop") you're going to get that "clunk". That's without the DBW.
I think it's just a matter of timing & engine speed. I can usually go from 2nd to 1st at a rolling stop fairly smoothly. Not necessarily a complete stop, but pretty close. Of course, if you are decelerating quickly, then it's not possible to do it without the hitch.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly Put, Sometimes I'll Shift To Neutral And Coast And Then Shift To 1st If I Am Slow Enough, But I Luv Downshifting With The Tubi Exhaust Like Gargling Champagne.

06 Qp Sport
06 Gs Spyder
06 Gs Coupe Blu Malago Incoming

·
Registered
339 Posts
Without the DBW, shifting from 2nd to 1st is awful, unless the car is completely stopped. But with it is very smooth and I feel more comfortable doing it now.
never did the DBW, never had a problem shifting into first. It does depend on how you have your PIS set. If you're unhappy with the way your car shifts, go see your dealer and have the tech manually set PIS for each gear as you drive the car (they do it live with a laptop). I had them install the European maps and then fine tuned it from there. Drove extremely aggressive and never had a complaint.

Not just at a dead stop...I would shift into first when below 20 mph and driving aggressively, the sequential transmission can handle it, it's not like a typical manual where first is only used when starting from a dead stop.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If you've never tried the DBW you have no idea of how smoother the shift can be. Believe me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you've never tried the DBW you have no idea of how smoother the shift can be. Believe me.
Have to agree with Mille162 - very smooth shifts in my GS.
Now my 02 CC on the other hand used to exhibit some issues with the 2nd to 1st shift!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does Anybody Left-foot Brake And Downshift Coming To A Stop Sign Or Slowing Down Is It Okay For The Transmission,thats Why I Love The F1 You Can Pretend Your Michael Shumacher Or Should I Now Say, Lewis Hamilton. I Love These Cars!

06 Qp Sport Black
06 Gs Spyder Red/tan
06 Gs Gs Coupe Blu Malago, Incoming

·
Registered
76 Posts
Agree with 2nd gear start being a "non-starter"

My Mechanic Told Me That When You Come To A Stop Sign In 2nd Gear,to Always Go Down To First Gear As There Is Too Much Slip On The Clutch In 2nd Gear, Good Point There As I Grew Up In South Phila Doin' The Slide.

06 Qp Sport
06 Gs Spyder
06 Gs Coupe (incoming)
Down-shifting to 1st is occasionally jerky - but starting out in 2nd from a rolling stop almost always makes me cringe. The engine revs, the car lumbers forward, and I can almost hear the clutch cursing me as it slooowly engages. I've learned to always leave in 1st gear.

Maybe Maserati teamed with law enforcement to ensure exotics make completely legal stops:).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts