Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao Membership,

I would like to, "Upgrade," my black-wired grille to the chromed-wire vintage package look. Seems like an easy job. Does anybody have a good source for premium grill wire such as that on the Vintage and GS cars, the Jag XKR, or the Cadillac V series? Thanks.

Incidentally, I posted a couple of months ago about the lightening/browning of my rubber window surrounds on my '02 CC, which is a Florida car. I have a black metallic car with tints, so the non-black surrounds really aged the look of the car. I finally got around to using the Griot's bumper/trim product, and it worked remarkably well. It's not so much a paint as it is a stain. It appears to have been absorbed into the rubber, rather than lay on top of it. Time will tell how it holds up, but the job was so easy, it could easily be incorporated into a monthly or quarterly ritual. FYI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Eugene said:
USD995 for the calendar grille seems a little expensive. The original GS front bumper chrome mesh costs about USD400-USD500. Maybe there's some distinctive difference which I'm unaware of.
It's Leo Nardo brand it's all expensive and nobody buys it in the U.S. but my international customers eat it up. Very popular brand in Europe and the company is part of Dimex Automotive based in Germany, I've tried to work with them to offer lower retail pricing for U.S. only to help pick the market up here but they have no interest. Not much I can do except offer it at the prices they charge.

I'm glad companies like Formula Dynamic came along and made some springs for 1/2 the price Leo Nardo did, we will be doing some things this year and I hope other companies will jump board also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just want the mesh, not the grill

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. I think I was misunderstood in my original post. I don't want to replace the entire grill. Rather, I just want to replace the black mesh with chromed mesh, keeping my original grill, etc. I'm having a hard time finding a company that sells a given size of the mesh or a roll of it that otherwise appears to be a quality product. I'm sure they're out there, as this type of mesh is frequently used for automotive applications. I just can't seem to find it. Thanks again, and Happy New Year to all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
try talking to Mike at Racemesh.com ([email protected]), he was making new front kidney grills for BMW's and they were very professional looking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
mille162 said:
try talking to Mike at Racemesh.com ([email protected]), he was making new front kidney grills for BMW's and they were very professional looking
Their build quality was nice, but they looked trashy in person. I don't know if its just because they looked completely out of place on the BMWs, or if it was because the mesh was woven much tighter making them look like HDRD products


-Colleen

Index: HDRD = Home Depot Racing Devlopment
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear Colleen,

That is exactly my concern. There are many (perhaps too many) varieties of polished mesh out there. Some look classy, others look too solid or industrial. Therein lies the challenge. There is probably a standard specification for my intended application, as the mesh on the GS, V-series Cadillac, and R-series Jags look very similar. Anyway, thanks for your comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Frankie P said:
Dear Colleen,

That is exactly my concern. There are many (perhaps too many) varieties of polished mesh out there. Some look classy, others look too solid or industrial. Therein lies the challenge. There is probably a standard specification for my intended application, as the mesh on the GS, V-series Cadillac, and R-series Jags look very similar. Anyway, thanks for your comments.

agree on it's look on the BMW. On certain cars (black on black or silver on silver) it looked ok. I was commenting mostly on the actual quaility of the mesh, not the look on the car. It's high quaility SS and a thicker wire you don't have to worry about looking like cheap gutter mesh that someone bought at home depot and zip tied onto their honda civic.

I believe the meash is the same dimensions as the jaguar "R" model. I sent Michael an email to see if he would be interested in making up one as a test and then seeing how it looks.

Does anyone know how hard it is to change the mesh in the rear of the car? I have the black grills on the black car and would prefer the silver on the rear as well as the front. Does it involve removing the whole bumper like the front grill or can you access is while on the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At least on the 2002 model, removing the front grill does not require taking the bumper off. FYI. Though I haven't personally done it (yet), I've had the grill replaced under warranty for some discoloration in the chrome surround, and have had an aftermarket rep explain how easy taking the grill off actually is.

Black versus chrome wire is naturally a subjective matter. I have the nero carbonio (metallic black) color, so the front end could use a little, "Pop," by my eyes. I've seen the chrome grill on a black coupe with the vintage package, as well as on a black gransport, and like the look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
What I was contemplating, and I apologize for doing vaguely, in my post is whether or not the mesh itself has a different look to it than the Maserati or other classy looking mesh types. I if I remember correctly, it is a tighter weave than the Maserati mesh, although made of good quality materials as well.

I just hope you don't end up with the jaws look from an overly busy mesh, your going to want to see some of the darkness that lays behind the grille.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
For Those wanting chromed mesh.

Just take your car to the dealers, my car is at my local Maserati dealer now after i saw a 4200 coupe with chrome mesh turns out the dealer chromed the original mesh !

They quoted me £265 to do mine and am getting it done at the moment.

Also just got the rear spoiler painted will fit it next week! and have ordered some ball polished gransport wheels with 235/35 and 275/30 Bridgestone Potenza tyres should be all done by the end of the month will post pics when finished.

E
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
A guy I know that is involved with the local Italian clubs used to offer chrome \ gold \ smoked chrome metal plating on plastic. I've seen pictures of bentleys, and a ducati in person that had it done that looked really nice. I'm not sure if he is still doing it, but I'll find out, if thats an avenue you want to explore.

I think you'd be missing a grille for a few weeks, but you know exactly what you'd get.

- Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
909 Posts
I checked into a couple more things on this for you. My guy still does the plastic/metal plating, and said it would run 3-400$ for all of the grilles. (I believe its a hybrid powdercoating\plating process)

I can get you a price on the earlier vintage pack grille if you would like too, but I assume its in the 500$ range.

- Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Elie said:
For Those wanting chromed mesh.

Just take your car to the dealers, my car is at my local Maserati dealer now after i saw a 4200 coupe with chrome mesh turns out the dealer chromed the original mesh !

They quoted me £265 to do mine and am getting it done at the moment.

Also just got the rear spoiler painted will fit it next week! and have ordered some ball polished gransport wheels with 235/35 and 275/30 Bridgestone Potenza tyres should be all done by the end of the month will post pics when finished.

E

you think this would work at US dealers as well?

I would love the GS grill on the front and back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Its not the GS grill for that you need the complete GS front bumper

its just chroming the original grill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Any updates on this?

1.2002-2004 have smaller grill size so just going and buying a GS grill will not work
2. Is taking off the grill and having it painted a hassle? cost?
3. Anyone find a place just to buy grills that are already painted?


I just love that look. It remains me of my XJR days
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Alex said:
Any updates on this?

1.2002-2004 have smaller grill size so just going and buying a GS grill will not work
2. Is taking off the grill and having it painted a hassle? cost?
3. Anyone find a place just to buy grills that are already painted?


I just love that look. It remains me of my XJR days
Steal the grills off a vintage package car :) But NOT MINE!!!!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top