Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get a pre owned GranSport coupe and missed out on one. What made me really want a GS was when I fired up the engine and heard the growl not to mention when in sport mode - music to my ears. I recently saw a 90th Anniversary Spyder and got all excited cause it had all the GS bits and looked great. But I found out from searches on the net that although the 90th anniversary spyder looks like a GS spyder it actually has the heart of a regular spyder with the 390bhp engine. What I need to know is despite having the 'regular' engine on the 90th Anniversary spyder, does it sound like a GS or a regular spyder? If the latter I think i'll go back to looking for a 'real' GS. Need help from you owners out there! mucho gracias!

·
Registered
139 Posts
They all have the same engine. The GS and the anniversary edition have different exhaust systems which make them sound much better.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The GS has a Tubi with pneumatic valves that bark open at high power output and are always open in sport mode.

I think it also has a polished intake manifold or some other minor improvement to help get those 10 extra hp.

Don't know the details about the 90th version.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I was looking to get a pre owned GranSport coupe and missed out on one. What made me really want a GS was when I fired up the engine and heard the growl not to mention when in sport mode - music to my ears. I recently saw a 90th Anniversary Spyder and got all excited cause it had all the GS bits and looked great. But I found out from searches on the net that although the 90th anniversary spyder looks like a GS spyder it actually has the heart of a regular spyder with the 390bhp engine. What I need to know is despite having the 'regular' engine on the 90th Anniversary spyder, does it sound like a GS or a regular spyder? If the latter I think i'll go back to looking for a 'real' GS. Need help from you owners out there! mucho gracias!
sky is the limit...tubi, fuch's, straight pipe...all sound much meaner :D or mine

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
check the pm i sent you.
but in response to this thread:
1) 2005 90th anniversary spyder is bascially a 2006 GS Spyder (with the carbon fiber tonneau cover and all the special trims and colors).
2) 90th spyder has the same exhaust setup and 'sport' button as in the GS, but it is shorter, and it sounds different from the inside. (coupe vs spyder).
3) that 10hp difference, according to my maserati tech, is from the exhaust. so the 90th spyder is underrated at 390hp.
4) personally i like the option of 'turning up and down' the exhaust notes.
5) as haha mentioned, there are many options to get a meaner sound. but not much option to get an active one.

what you need to decide is whether you want a 2 door coupe or a spyder. the GS (coupe) handles very very well.
the spyder... is different.
if you need a convertible, the 90th anniversary is the choice (if you don't need a MT, and if you like blue or silver).

as far as used GS and 90th are concerned, there are many GS listings. so even if you missed one, you will see another one soon. there aren't that many 90th spyders listed, but there are a few GS Spyders around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The 90th sounds absolutely awesome with no modifications! I love it.
There's one on the classifieds of this website for 89,900. (not mine)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks to all who replied especially M! & Dparent. I went to check out the 90th Spyder yesterday and as already confirmed here - it sound fantastico! Im seriously considering the car all depends on some checks I have to make and of course whether the dealer is willing to accept my offer price when I make it. The GS is a wonderful machine and the one to get if one wants a 'serious' drive. But where I come from is basically city driving 99.9% of the time. Since there are no GS for sale here and this is available, why not! I hate to admit it but Im always more partial to a spyder.

ON a different note, I spoke to a maserati tech and was told GS owners have to be very cautious when driving in wet weather. Because the GS air intake is very low, even if there is a slight flood on the roads the water gets sucked in and there goes the engine. The tech said he has seen 2 GS come in with this problem. Any one here experienced/heard this happening? The engine will need a overhaul after this and still may serve up problems even after the overhaul, so Im told.

·
Registered
695 Posts
ON a different note, I spoke to a maserati tech and was told GS owners have to be very cautious when driving in wet weather. Because the GS air intake is very low, even if there is a slight flood on the roads the water gets sucked in and there goes the engine. The tech said he has seen 2 GS come in with this problem. Any one here experienced/heard this happening? The engine will need a overhaul after this and still may serve up problems even after the overhaul, so Im told.
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3351

1 - 8 of 8 Posts