Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read through a bunch of posts and there's some great info that's been really helpful. I've had my Maser for about 6 months and love it but I have some questions. Thanks for the help:

It seems to get pretty hot on the drivers side foot well. Does anyone have any experience with that?

The stereo is not good - has anyone had any success with a Sirus install?

My dash board lights around the tach and speedomoter went out. It's not a fuse any ideas what else could be the problem?

Sometime I hear a metal sounding squeal when starting in first gear.

Any other female owners??

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Welcome to ML Siouxxxzen. You'll find there will be a lot of help here on the forum & I'm sure you'll get answers to your questions.... About your squeal in first gear...do you have a manual six speed or the Cambiocorsa (paddles) transmission? I've heard that this noise could be your clutch throw-out bearing. Don't want to alarm you - better to wait until more folks respond to your thread.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sirius will work, my car has a Sirius unit installed on it by previous owner and it worked until he canceled the subscription. The unit is installed just on the right side of my steering wheel and it's pretty slick, unfortunately I love my cd's too much so my CD changer works just great and maybe because of the auditorium package the Mass has.
ttyl.
h.h.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It can be either a throw out bearing going bad, as Vicenzo said, or a glazed clutch, like I had. Does it feel like the clutch is slipping? Like the revs go up but the car doesn't move as fast? Is it worse when going uphill? Either way you are looking into a good $3-5k bill, depending if it's a manual or cambiocorsa. If manual you can get the work done by an independent mechanic, but if CC... than you are stuck with the dealers.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. As for the clutch, I have a cambio and it doesnt feel like it's slipping or not performing properly - it's just an awful metal-to-metal sound sometimes when I start moving in 1st gear. The mechanic at the dealership said that I need to start off more aggressively from a stop and actually when I give it more gas (rather than a slower start) I dont hear that noise. It just didnt make much sense to me so I thought I'd check it out here. I'm concerned about the cost and frequency of repairs. I love my car. It's so much fun to drive. I've had a bunch of MBs etc. but nothing compares...just dont know if I'm going to be able to handle the repair bills hmmm...maybe my boys will opt for community college? - sounds like a good trade off to me :)

If anyone is in the Maryland (Baltimore) area and knows of a good mechanic please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
mechanic

There used to be great mechanics in Glenn Bernie who used to work at Maserati of Baltimore back in the 90"s don't know if there still around or if they are familiar withn the new Masers.

06 QP SPORT
06 GS SPYDER

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
If anyone is in the Maryland (Baltimore) area and knows of a good mechanic please let me know.

Thanks.
VincentEng, on this board, PM'd me a while back about this shop, which might be local to you....

Contact Richard Garre, owner of Radcliffe Motorcars in MD, http://rmccar.com

I believe they're in Reisterstown

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome Indian girl. (I mean that in jest) To address your questions...
The noise on acceleration, Is it from a standstill? Is it a short moaning/howling type of noise? If so it sounds like the typical pilot bearing noise issue, if it is the pilot bearing, do not worry about it, it can be replaced when your clutch gets replaced.
The heat in the footwell is normal, the exhaust is neatly tucked into the hump next to your feet.If it is unbearable you can have exrta heat insulation installed under the car or wrap the exhaust near the cabin.
The stereo system leaves ALOT to be desired, plenty of folks have installed Sirius, do a forum search for more info.
The dash lights could be turned all the way down, try turning the knob on the tachometer to see if the dimmer is down, it is hard to see the dash lights in the daytime, so try at night. If not it is possible the bulbs are out, but I doubt all the bulbs would go at once.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Kent thanks for your help. The noise is from a standstill and it's more like a metal on metal grinding sound. It doesnt happen if I start off more aggresively (I have a cc). As for the lights - yes I have tried to turn the dash lights up by the knob on the tach without success. I hesitate to take it to the dealer because that's never a pleasant experience and being female I think they really take advantage of me. Anyway, I guess I really dont need to see my speedlimit at night anyway :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sirius will work, my car has a Sirius unit installed on it by previous owner and it worked until he canceled the subscription. The unit is installed just on the right side of my steering wheel and it's pretty slick, unfortunately I love my cd's too much so my CD changer works just great and maybe because of the auditorium package the Mass has.
ttyl.
h.h.
If you still have the Sirius tuner in place, would you possibly be able to post a picture of the installation? Also, was it hardwired into the stereo or connected via an FM modulator?

I'm having serious Stern withdrawal since I started driving the Spyder. Plus FM reception in San Francisco is dreadful.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sirius

If you still have the Sirius tuner in place, would you possibly be able to post a picture of the installation? Also, was it hardwired into the stereo or connected via an FM modulator?

I'm having serious Stern withdrawal since I started driving the Spyder. Plus FM reception in San Francisco is dreadful.
There isn't much to this smal Sirius unit, it is mounted to the left of my steering very small and good looking unit. I will take pics soon for you.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Isn't the heat in the '02s great? I loved it, makes the experience that much better. As for the horrible noise from 1st, I thought we had determined that this was both a common occurance and normal (not a problem)? Atleast that's what my dealer and I agreed on...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi siouxxxzennn,

I was wondering if you ever found out what the metal grinding sound is when you start moving in first gear from a stand still. I have the exact same problem and it is worse on a hill. In fact, the steeper the hill the louder the grinding. I was wondering if it could also be the torque tube.

If anyone else has any information on this please chime in.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to ML and to a great resource for us all!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.