3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 1960 Maserati 450 S (reconstruction) here

and....

A 1962 Maserati Vignale Spyder 3500 here

·
Registered
478 Posts
The 450 is amazing. If anybody's thinking about buying, I'm happy to head over to Brussels to check it out:)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
There's something fishy about the 450 auction, that car should be worth over $1M...

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's something fishy about the 450 auction, that car should be worth over $1M...
Yea - I was thinking the same thing. Does the fact that it's a 'reconstruction' de-value it since it's not all original? What exactly is a reconstruction?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm thinking more like a scam....

·
Registered
520 Posts
There is NOTHING about the car on ebay that is real. It is a complete fake and a bad one at that. The engine is probably from a series 1 Qp.

All the surviving real 450S are accounted for and their locations are well known. 6 (#4501/12, #4503, #4504, #4508, #4509, #4510) are in the US including the Costin Coupe (#4501/12). 2 (#4502 and #4506) are in Europe (Germany).

#4507 was destroyed in 1957 at Caracas.

#4505 big controversy on this car, a car has been offered for the past few years that claims to be built from the remains of #4505. It has a real 450S (Marine) engine. Some historians believe this to be true, another faction believes that the factory renumber #4505 as #4506 and sold it as a new car to John Edgar.

Here are photos of 5 real 450S' taken at the Maserati Owners National Meet & Historic Reunion at Le Belle Macchine d'Italia. www.italiancarsatpocono.com

Attachments

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is NOTHING about the car on ebay that is real. It is a complete fake and a bad one at that. The engine is probably from a series 1 Qp.
Wow....thanks Joe. If there is anyone that can smell a maser rat it would be you. Haven't seen you here in a while. Thanks for clearing the 450 up. It's a shame that someone is going to [potentially] part with a bunch of money. Bidding's currently up to $31K. What do you make of the '62 3500GT?

·
Registered
224 Posts
And is 'reconstruction' a real term?
I don't know if there is a correct definition, but I have to say, when I saw the ebay listing and saw the word "reconstruction", and even before I read the info here, I assumed they meant this was a replica. Going back and looking at it, I'm still not sure whether they are selling a replica as such, or trying to pass this off as the real thing - but personally, I never thought they were selling a real 450 - the price alone gives that away. the bidding got to $46K - high, but not unhead of for a (good) replica (e.g. some of the nicer Shelby Cobra replicas out there)... but clearly not the type of prices a real 450 could command.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts