Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after tons of searching on this site as well as the www, I have found a solution to my sticky/gunky button problem in my 08 GT. The parts are: Patience, some DIY know how for disassembly and reassembly of internal parts and... Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover. Check out the before and afters attached. Simply spray the B&T remover, let sit for 1 - 5 min depending on how serious the issue is and wipe off with a microfiber cloth or similar type rag. Some buttons took one swipe while others such as the button dash took a few spray and wipes. No damage to the plastic or emblems on the buttons. You must disassemble as much as possible or else you'll be smearing the rubbery coating around and into crevices that could potentially lock up the button functionality.
20200612_180809.jpg
20200612_182314.jpg
20200612_175909.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, great job! How did you come to the conclusion that bug and tar remover would work? I never would have guessed that.
Well I saw quite a few videos on YouTube regarding this and had to fix my left side button cluster anyways because the plastic pillars behind them on the PCB broke. So I thought I'd give it a go on one of the buttons that's barely visible and test it out. Worked like a charm on the button so I tried it on the whole panel and was very happy with the result.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well I saw quite a few videos on YouTube regarding this and had to fix my left side button cluster anyways because the plastic pillars behind them on the PCB broke. So I thought I'd give it a go on one of the buttons that's barely visible and test it out. Worked like a charm on the button so I tried it on the whole panel and was very happy with the result.
Can you please provide the links to good YouTube videos, if any? Tank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you please provide the links to good YouTube videos, if any? Tank you.
I wouldn't say that there was any ONE that stood out. I would suggest just typing in "sticky button issue in car" as well as "Sticky buttons on Maserati"and watch multiple versions. I suggest this route because you learn things NOT to do as well as techniques that help. It all depends on where in the car the sticky issue resides, for me the entire dash was sticky and I started with the button cluster next to the steering wheel because it was fairly easy to disassemble and if I did screw up badly it was in a position only I could see. As far as the actual spray and wiping of the parts I just followed the directions on the back of the Bug and Tar remover bottle (The thicker the sticky coating the longer you want the stuff to sit). Bottom line the disassembly and reassembly were the toughest parts so make sure you really focus on those how-to videos. Hope this helps!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts