Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally must take action! My '02 CC Coupe sleeps in a public covered garage under a cloth cover. No electricity; and now in the winter especially the Optima Red 34R battery doesn't have enough oomph to start the car. So, out it comes to my home, charge with a 6V charger to bring it up to 12V and back she goes. (Wait the 30 seconds + in 'run' position) and the car starts For some good reason, the radio stations are still active.I thus enquire whether anyone has had success with such a maintainer with this car/battery combo? I park by a grille which allows light and occasionally direct sun in. I am tempted by The Deltran 5W unit on Amazon. Appreciate comments! Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Deltran 5W is a float charger which is good, trickle charger is not good. I would try it and see.....

If you don't plan to drive your car over the winter you shouldn't start it periodically. Instead I would pull the battery and put it on a float charger.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you thepat and JetNC. I'll look in these higher range wattages. I do like to use the car as often as I can, but it does not seem that I am bringing the battery really to full charge even though my tester shows 12V. Two days ago, I charged it, drove half an hour and then stopped for two hours. It barely started... even though my dash indicated the generator was working as I drove. So, a deeper charge sounds like the answer. I have heard that this Red Top does take a long time to top up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you are driving periodically then a float charger is good to use and it wouldn't hurt to use a fuel stabilizer like Techtron. I use it year round because I tend to travel and can be away for weeks sometimes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made the purchase

Well, I installed a Sunforce solar 15 w /7 amp solar charger with the Sunforce controller and left it attached for two weeks while away - indoors under a south facing bay window. The Redtop registered 12 volts. Now I have tried to get the readings up to 14 v with a 'full' charge of 13.2. Even in bright sun it never does this, but I can drive the car! (the controller specified above is no longer in production). So, I'll bring it home every so often and plug it in! Thanks. P.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts