Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when doing a track day? I have haggerty and I am not covered if it involves the track so I am not sure what to do if I want to run on the track once just to see what the car can do, other than sit it out... What about you guys? Anyone here dealt with this?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
What if it's called a 'driving school' instead of 'taking the car to the track'? I've taken my BMWs and an RX-7 to 'driving schools' and my insurance has been ok with it. I would actually look for clubs or local tracks that sponsor these as they really do teach driving skills and emphasize safety. You'll be able to get even more enjoyment from your maser knowing that you're really learning skills you can use everyday...AND you get to go really fast! It's a win-win! :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Grundy insurance policy I have on my cars has a similar "no track" clause.

I never thought of the "driving school" angle. Worth looking into....:D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grundy...

I may be switching to Grundy, their quote was about $300.00 a year cheaper than haggerty for the same coverage... I need to fill out the forms this weekend and email them and the picts in..... Glad you told me that...

·
Registered
660 Posts
I may be switching to Grundy, their quote was about $300.00 a year cheaper than haggerty for the same coverage... I need to fill out the forms this weekend and email them and the picts in..... Glad you told me that...
Mark

At least in the UK, you could either request track use coverage when signing-up (obv you pay a higher premium...) or stick to the usual no track, no trade, etc., cover. Here no track means "no wheels on a racetrack" on whatever condition, so a "driving school" argument (if the worse happens) leaves you in very thin air... as you were on a track. Hence, some insurers offer "track day only" covers (you take it for the day, 2 days... whatever you need) which are supplemental covers to your standard policy. Check if that product is available in the US, maybe a cheaper alternative and you sign for it only when you need it.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
793 Posts
It's important to realize that insurance companies and car manufacturers get info from tracks as to who was there and when.

So be aware that if you take your car to a track you could be denied insurance coverage in all respects, and I have heard of a car manufacturer refusing vehicle warranty coverage because the manufacturer knew from track info that the car had been to a track.

Just be aware that nothing is sacred any more.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have seen specialty co's offering programs for liability insurance only as well as limited disability & death benefits. I don't think any Company would offer the physical damage portion if you damaged your own vehicle.

I know Chubb has a motorsports division but I think its limited to trackowners racing associations, and the members of those associations, both amature or professional.

There is a specialty program available, but I can't recall the name and what States they were set up for. It's out there if you seach around and make calls to Agents that specialize in this class of insurance. It's a completely different game than the common classic car insurance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have full coverage including track miles on my maserati and corvette. obviously there is a higher premium but they are fully covered, regardless of where teh accident happened. on my s2000 it is insured as liability only for a "weekend car," but full coverage on the track - it is my w2w racer.

i have seen all too often, people getting screwed because they tried to cheat the insurance. people will flip their car on the track, and literally have the wrecker drop their car off on the side of the street, where they will try and file the claim. that is insurance fraud plain and simple.

other times, they will do engine/suspension damage on the track, and try to claim it on the street. insurance adjusters aren't idiots and they can tell, based on the type of car and its modifications, type of damage, and so on, if the car received the damage on the track. if it is questionable, they may decline or suspend coverage pending an investigation.

the "driving school" loophole is there, but you had better make certain of your policy before you go agricultural at the track, then claim it happened outside your neighborhood.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have full coverage including track miles on my maserati and corvette. obviously there is a higher premium but they are fully covered, regardless of where teh accident happened. on my s2000 it is insured as liability only for a "weekend car," but full coverage on the track - it is my w2w racer.
You have coverage for w2w racing, not just Driver's Ed events? Who is the coverage with? Do you pay annually or per event? What does it cost?

Off-topic a bit but I see you are also in TX, what organization are you racing with? I race a Porsche 911 in GTS-3 with NASA.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You have coverage for w2w racing, not just Driver's Ed events? Who is the coverage with? Do you pay annually or per event? What does it cost?

Off-topic a bit but I see you are also in TX, what organization are you racing with? I race a Porsche 911 in GTS-3 with NASA.

I race an S2000 in SUO, also with NASA-TX. I usually only race at TWS, MSR-Houston, and MSR-Cresson. The car has a 427 LS1/7. Lately I've been in my blue C6 Z06, in which I do HPDE.

As for insurance coverage, I should've been more specific. The Maserati and Corvette are insured with Allstate (as are all my other vehicles), with track coverage only for HPDE. The S2000 is insured through Hagerty, with bi-annual payments, and a very, very expensive premium. I've yet to file a claim, but it's nice to know it's there, if there is a total loss.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I race an S2000 in SUO, also with NASA-TX. I usually only race at TWS, MSR-Houston, and MSR-Cresson. The car has a 427 LS1/7. Lately I've been in my blue C6 Z06, in which I do HPDE.

As for insurance coverage, I should've been more specific. The Maserati and Corvette are insured with Allstate (as are all my other vehicles), with track coverage only for HPDE. The S2000 is insured through Hagerty, with bi-annual payments, and a very, very expensive premium. I've yet to file a claim, but it's nice to know it's there, if there is a total loss.
So is the Hagerty policy for HPDE or w2w racing? I knew of HPDE coverage but had not found much for w2w. I saw a few policies out there on a per event basis but they were really aimed at professional teams.

If you run SUO we would race in the same run group, Group 7. I take it you did not race in the opener in Houston a few weeks ago as I don't remember seeing the car. Will you make the race in Cresson March 15/16?

·
Registered
35 Posts
the hagerty policy is for w2w. if you speak with an agent you will get better answers; for the longest time they gave me the runaround as we played email tag.

i have not made it to a single race this season, and am not sure if i can make it to the Cresson race on march 15/16. i have a trip planned to visit my brothern in mcallen on that weekend. :(

SUO is such a small class, with such a wide range of performance among the vehicles, that you rarely have anyone to race against. i want to w2w race the corvette, but have yet to bite the bullet for a proper roll cage - and even still, my car would be difficult to classify...

i'll definitely be at TWS on april 19/20 because i love counter clockwise layouts. what color is your porsche and what graphics/logos/etc will distinguish your car? my car is a simple burnt orange with a black hardtop. easy to miss in the pits, but you can't mistake the noise. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Attached is a pic of my car. If you do make the Cresson race, I have one of the Villas there and you're welcome to drop by. I am planning a little happy hour after Saturday's races are over for the GTS and Ferrari racers. Here is how to find the house: www.BigBendVilla.com

I plan to run the whole season so if we miss each other in March I'll see you at TWS ...

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
the hagerty policy is for w2w. if you speak with an agent you will get better answers; for the longest time they gave me the runaround as we played email tag.

i have not made it to a single race this season, and am not sure if i can make it to the Cresson race on march 15/16. i have a trip planned to visit my brothern in mcallen on that weekend. :(

SUO is such a small class, with such a wide range of performance among the vehicles, that you rarely have anyone to race against. i want to w2w race the corvette, but have yet to bite the bullet for a proper roll cage - and even still, my car would be difficult to classify...

i'll definitely be at TWS on april 19/20 because i love counter clockwise layouts. what color is your porsche and what graphics/logos/etc will distinguish your car? my car is a simple burnt orange with a black hardtop. easy to miss in the pits, but you can't mistake the noise. :D
do you have any pics of the s2000? i would love to see pics of the engine bay as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts