Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was stunned!!!! So this black Dodge SRT-4 comes up behind me... At the light, I am ahead of him, I take off like a scared jack rabbit. The guy is right on my tail. I can't shake him! From there we both line up at the next light, he get's me out of the hole but we run dead even to 100mph at which time we both let off. Next time we head north bound on I-25, down the on ramp we are dead even up to 125mph..
So I decide to pull into the Shell station of 104th, he pulls in behind me and we start talking. This guy has a turbo, running 18 PSI boost, car is lowered and a few other tricks and get's just under 500hp in his 2000 pound car. I am telling this thing is a super sleeper...

Guys name is Eric, a real gear head...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=230446698

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f86/500hp-srt-colorado-131545/

Anyway, he was completely surprised I could run with him, said he has eaten every vette around, and after comparing notes he wasted the same M5 and M6 that I did as well as the same Charger SRT-8. I promised him I would find the F430 Scuderia that runs out on 136th so he can see what it's like to have his doors blown off....

Anyway, great night for driving!!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
2000 lbs???

I highly doubt his vehicle was anywhere in the 2000lb range, more towards 3000

·
Registered
513 Posts
that makes more sense..

the stock non 'extreme' vehicles often exceed 3000lbs. 2400 lbs is pretty darn impressive, i'd prefer an Elise however.many years ago I drove a Dodge Neon as a company vehicle, oh the nightmares.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Dude......

YOU DRIVE A MASERATI!!!!! Who cares about a cheap-ass little Chrysler? That thing is going to have a $2000 resale value next year; that kind of boost in such a cheap POS is gonna kill it. Our cars will run hard like that all day (naturally aspirated) WITHOUT voiding the warranty

I'll bet the vallet's drool over his turbo Neon!

PLEASE! :cool:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Buzz

I agree with what you are saying... Not only does my car run like that for a life time but it's comfortable to drive and sounds so much better but I was still stunned that that little POS could actually run like that. It's like a gerbil on steriods...

·
Registered
211 Posts
forgive if I sound ignorant! But how can a 2000lbs car putting out near 500hp just "keep up" and not down right anhilate your maser? Am I missing something or do you have mods on your car?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Thats what I am thinking... The general consensus is that a "basic" equation for approximate 0-60 is:

kg / .9(bhp)

That is appx 907/450... or about 2 seconds...

I think that guy has massive drivetrain loss... and "fluffed down" his weight.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mods..

the car came with loads of mods...
it was raced in california before I bought it...
It has the eurotek reflash, updated tcu code,
etc.... btw the srt-4 has big traction problems

·
Registered
357 Posts
The Rice Boy claims 4 lbs /HP. That is a VERY impressive number, one which would present a number of challenges in terms of traction and keeping the lightweight transaxle in one piece. I suspect he's being optimistic on both counts. At under 10 lbs/HP, the Maserati presents a VERY good power to weight ratio for a stock street car.

Just take comfort in the fact that the little buzzwagon had gearing such that his top end speed potential was nowhere near yours. In a real race, he'd have ended up picking up his connecting rods off the street while you were still accelerating.

Remember, Lotus beat the big powerhouse cars with small light cars of similar power to weight ratio that would handle and brake better because of their weight. on tight road courses, the little Lotuses (should it be Loti :) ) were supreme. However, to accomplish this Colin Chapman (Lotus founder) stated that the ideal Lotus would fall apart at the finish line.

Glad you're having fun out there. Be safe. Remember, there's always somebody who has a better set of compromises for a given situation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haha. I have buddy with that SRT4 in Pensacola, Florida. He has recently gotten it tuned(along with some other stuff) and ran on my buddies dads 997 C4S. Needless to saythe porsche got tore up. We just tell the SRT4 guy he still has to go home driving a Neon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think someone here said someting about... " You can make a milktruck go
fast if you put a big enought engine in it, but it's still a milktruck.";)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, that is true. But if we were beaten by the milk truck, it ganna be a very sad day. On the other hand, I want to have that milk truck :D

Btw, I remember that Top Gear take Ford Van to the ring and beated some Porches and many sport cars. They would have unbearable feeling if they don't know that Sabine drove that van.

To have giant killer is kind of fun but we got to have something nice and special like our cars too.

pganmol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No longer the match...

So today I met with my SRT-4 buddy again, he's been working on his car, and thanks to Jeff's ECU and DBW I have been working on mine.

Anyway, we took off to the cars and coffee this morning over in Lafayette, hit an old abanded road on the way and from a dead start with either the agressive mode or upgraded mode with the DBW I can get off the line and be gone, he can't hook up at first and by then I am too far gone for him to catch me. I am running the 93 Octane regular upgraded ECU and didn't even switch over to the special program that Jeff did for me for 93 Octane High Altitude which gives my car more low end torque and WAY more high end rush than I had in my old 68 SS 327 Camaro which was no way near stock...

Once he did get the jump on me by about 3 car lengths, caught me napping and in a flat spot, low revs in high gear, but we ran even to about 120 and then I started gaining on him rather quickly, he later told me he was topping out in 5th gear, I had just left 4th and was getting power in 5th when we both let off, but it wouldn't have been long before I would have been long gone. Plus I had a completely full tank of gas, another 72 pounds of gear in the car plus my middle age overweight butt... Anyway, getting rid of the stock wheels, which are 36 pounds each, and going to wheel half that weight, would make the car even quicker.

So the next thing I need to do is get rid of this stock exhaust, put on the sport springs and the new SS brake lines. The performance of the car is amazing, and it's only getting better...

Talking with John Yeuh (Service Manager) at Ferrari of Denver as well as Jeff @ Formula Dynamics, both say getting rid of that stock old exhaust, getting a good high flow cat from Jeff and the better X-pipe should give me another 15hp, plus a lot more efficiency.

I am currently saving up, looking forward to these new additions this fall, as to the current additions....

I am amazed!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i remember seeing this thread a long time ago but paid no attention, but since it is bought back, i have to say, m so sorry i have no freaking clue what a dodge srt 4...
so i googled it..
lol.

·
Registered
339 Posts
or "You can buy speed and you can buy horsepower, but you can't by style or class"

1 - 20 of 25 Posts