Maserati Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Can get back to you on Friday with that.
Oil service; replace belts; flush steering fluid; replace spark plugs; coolant & brake flush; lube steering wheel column shaft; tow to get install new battery; wipers; alignment; install 4 tire sensors & a few minor odds & ends. Driver's visor light mechanism failed. Decided not to spend $1200 for that. To do: replace valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is fine, but like I said all cars have issues of some kind...It maybe not a leak.....Jaguar and Land Rover have an issue with timing chain rails currently that cost thousands to fix
As the owner of a 5.0 SC X351 Jaguar, the GT seems like nothing in comparison. Their forum is full of catastrophic engine faulures and please help me part out my car I owe 5 more years on and $42000 rebuild quotes. This forum is heaven in comparison. Nav unit upgrade threads and interior odds and ends.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
As the owner of a 5.0 SC X351 Jaguar, the GT seems like nothing in comparison. Their forum is full of catastrophic engine faulures and please help me part out my car I owe 5 more years on and $42000 rebuild quotes. This forum is heaven in comparison. Nav unit upgrade threads and interior odds and ends.
I 'see' your X351 and raise you my, "i can almost see the part i need to fix but cant really reach it" pain in the arse BMW. Then double down with my, (insert Italian mobster voice) Fa'get about iiiit "engine out service for everything," Ferrari. :LOL:

silvertonesx24...The GT, like you said, "nothing in comparison."

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is fine, but like I said all cars have issues of some kind...It maybe not a leak.....Jaguar and Land Rover have an issue with timing chain rails currently that cost thousands to fix...BMW has had problems with timing chains, carbon deposits, and electric water pumps etc...Here is the reality of car manufactures and I have been doing this 31 years....They are more concerned about car sales then updating older parts for old models...Seen it many times...Maserati doesn't give two craps about a 2015 Ghibli....Car has been sold and it is 2020...Out of warranty and most likely on a second owner...They are worried about up coming models to sell...They look forward and not back unless they can get sued...I know that sucks, but that is just how it goes...Maserati is not different than other manufactures IMO...Jason
If Maserati would look back; they would solve the problem of the sticky interior switches, etc. I had a 2007 Q4 that had the sticky problem and currently have a 2013 GTS with the same problem. Why can't the sticky switches be corrected?

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
Because then the reviewers complain about hard, 'cheap' plastics....

C

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Here’s a tangent .. I received a recall notice related to my Mercedes indicating they discovered a problem on various 2000 - 2005 models ( the age is key point here ! ) of a possible sunroof perimeter adhesive starting to separate.. Dealers are getting the parts in and will notify you when available so you can set up an appointment for replacement ..at no cost of course ! 15-20 years later and they pay for the cost of fixing something on a car, regardless of any external factors that may have contributed to that, and unlike Maserati they don’t consider that a “ wear item “ ? Wow. I’m holding my breath now waiting for the sticky buttons recall from Maserati .:rolleyes:??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
For prospective GT buyers wanting to know “how expensive are these cars?” I’ve owned my 2012 GT (now with 39,400 miles) for almost 3 years. Normal service/maintenance: $3745. To do: replace the gaskets for the valve covers at about $1500. Does not include a couple of tires.
Since my original post, my cost of ownership has gone up. I took my car to a high end shop that I used in the past for my DB7. As a result of their inspection:
- replace the gaskets as stated above
- new front rotors & pads
- replace leaking pinion seal
- replace the transmission's leaking pan gasket including filter & fluid
- replace the infamous & pesky coolant hose in the abyss
- new oil; bleed brakes & change coolant.

So now am up to approximately $12,218 for 3 years ownership. I'm considering the brake job as a "wear" item. In all the cars I've owned, never had to replace valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Since my original post, my cost of ownership has gone up. I took my car to a high end shop that I used in the past for my DB7. As a result of their inspection:
- replace the gaskets as stated above
- new front rotors & pads
- replace leaking pinion seal
- replace the transmission's leaking pan gasket including filter & fluid
- replace the infamous & pesky coolant hose in the abyss
- new oil; bleed brakes & change coolant.

So now am up to approximately $12,218 for 3 years ownership. I'm considering the brake job as a "wear" item. In all the cars I've owned, never had to replace valve cover gaskets.
Seems you're something of a valve cover gasket GOD, lol.... i have always had to replace those damn things on pretty much every car i've had, at some point. ?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts