Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For prospective GT buyers wanting to know “how expensive are these cars?” I’ve owned my 2012 GT (now with 39,400 miles) for almost 3 years. Normal service/maintenance: $3745. To do: replace the gaskets for the valve covers at about $1500. Does not include a couple of tires.

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
473 Posts
Meh, it's all relative. Remember that these are $150-180k cars when new and it'll seem much more reasonable considering the engineering that went into these cars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meh, it's all relative. Remember that these are $150-180k cars when new and it'll seem much more reasonable considering the engineering that went into these cars.
Oh, I'm not complaining at all. My previous car was a 2001 DB7. With that car I had plenty of $$$ invoices to complain about.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a 2015 with leaking valve cover and failed power steering motor... both are getting done under warranty (feb 21st was my warranty cut off)

i do have extended warranty for anything that happens after factory warranty

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2015 with leaking valve cover and failed power steering motor... both are getting done under warranty (feb 21st was my warranty cut off)

Mine did not come with any warranty. Judging what I see on the FB Maserati Group, a good number of claims are denied as Maserati says those things are normal wear & not failure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
2009 4.7 S Auto I’ve owned it for four years now and put ~40k miles on it myself (got it with ~25k miles) so it’s at 63.5k miles
So far:
-3 sets of tires
-brake pads
-4 oil changes
-inner/outer tie rods
-alternator
-Front skyhook Shock absorber
-few other odds and ends (replacing light bulbs, etc.)

Issues I haven’t yet resolved:
-leaking transmission seal (I just top it off every 3-4 months with 1/4th quart of zf 6.0 tranny fluid)
-slow engine leak (in the past year maybe 1/8th a quart of oil so I’ve just been monitoring it)
-airbag light intermittently pops on and off every drive

if you’re remotely handy you can do most of it yourself which makes it entirely reasonable price wise .... if you’re doing all the maintenance via maserati or even most independents ... it’ll certainly start to add up.

4,549 Posts
As far as parts go and compared to other makes I work on the hard parts are pretty reasonable and comparable .. Alternator, belts ,oil filter, etc...Get inside the car and start looking for interior parts and the price can get real stupid..Jason

·
Premium Member
721 Posts

You were very lucky that Maserati covered the car under warranty, but I'm assuming that the issues are being covered under the new car warranty and not the overpriced, totally worthless Maserati CPO warranty. DO NOT let the dealership talk you into a CPO warranty, as it's not worth the paper it's printed on!

Mine did not come with any warranty. Judging what I see on the FB Maserati Group, a good number of claims are denied as Maserati says those things are normal wear & not failure.
Maserati claims that basically everything is a "wear item". It's their way of making it allowable for them to decline warranty claims. Their CPO program is a farce.

Regarding the leaking valve covers seals, I've often wondered why there hasn't been a class action lawsuit filed against Maserati, as they are well-aware of this problem and they've done absolutely nothing to address it. My niece's 2013 Hyundai Elantra has 179,000 miles on it and it's never leaked a drop of anything!

·
Registered
385 Posts
i had an independent shop do a complete check up and they reported the issues. I took it straight to maserati and had them take care of the issues. My car is supposed to be ready by next week. They have had it for a month now. Everything that happens at maserati dealers is slow motion it seems.
It is winter here in indiana so it was not going to be driven anyways but getting everything done before my warranty ran out later this month was definitely a relief

·
Registered
385 Posts
You were very lucky that Maserati covered the car under warranty, but I'm assuming that the issues are being covered under the new car warranty and not the overpriced, totally worthless Maserati CPO warranty. DO NOT let the dealership talk you into a CPO warranty, as it's not worth the paper it's printed on!

Maserati claims that basically everything is a "wear item". It's their way of making it allowable for them to decline warranty claims. Their CPO program is a farce.
i did not get CPO warranty. I got some third party warranty that has a $100 deductible every time the car has any issues. Lets see how it goes when i do need to use them for anything in the future

4,549 Posts

Regarding the leaking valve covers seals, I've often wondered why there hasn't been a class action lawsuit filed against Maserati, as they are well-aware of this problem and they've done absolutely nothing to address it. My niece's 2013 Hyundai Elantra has 179,000 miles on it and it's never leaked a drop of anything!
A class action lawsuit for cam covers gaskets that start weeping after 4-5 years? Not a fire or anything, but a weep? All cars have parts on them that are not perfect and fail prematurely.. The Hyundai is still just a Hyundai and I'm pretty sure no has stopped your niece at a gas station and told her that is a sweet Elantra.. :) Jason

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
A class action lawsuit for cam covers gaskets that start weeping after 4-5 years? Not a fire or anything, but a weep? All cars have parts on them that are not perfect and fail prematurely.. The Hyundai is still just a Hyundai and I'm pretty sure no has stopped your niece at a gas station and told her that is a sweet Elantra.. :) Jason
Sorry Jason but I couldn't disagree more. I've owned dozens of cars, and I have never had a valve cover seal leak, regardlees of miles or age. Maserati knows that this is and has been an issue, yet they have chosen to ignore it. When a manufacturer knows that a part is defective, they should do something to address the problem. Maserati knows that leaking/weaping valve cover seals is a cash cow for their dealership service departments, so they turn their backs on their customers.
The comment regarding my niece's Hyundai was meant to show that Hyundai builds reliable cars. It's difficult to have people looking at your sweet Maserati when it's sitting in the dealership's service bay! :)

4,549 Posts
That is fine, but like I said all cars have issues of some kind...It maybe not a leak.....Jaguar and Land Rover have an issue with timing chain rails currently that cost thousands to fix...BMW has had problems with timing chains, carbon deposits, and electric water pumps etc...Here is the reality of car manufactures and I have been doing this 31 years....They are more concerned about car sales then updating older parts for old models...Seen it many times...Maserati doesn't give two craps about a 2015 Ghibli....Car has been sold and it is 2020...Out of warranty and most likely on a second owner...They are worried about up coming models to sell...They look forward and not back unless they can get sued...I know that sucks, but that is just how it goes...Maserati is not different than other manufactures IMO...Jason

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
That's pretty much a true although sad sentiment for us, the consumers. Car manufacturers all the way down to the dealerships that sell cars, could care less about our car problems. They have cashed the check and moved on, the second you signed on the 'dotted line.' A service department basically only exist for the simple fact that if it didn't, car sales would be abysmal!!! How many people would actually spend hard earned money if they felt they couldn't return a broken item for service :unsure:. Not to say there aren't great service departments to be found, but one should count their lucky stars if they ever find one. If you've taken enough cars in to be serviced/repaired at a dealership, mostly what you would encounter is sub-par service at best. There in lies the beauty of independent shops like Enzo's where Jason works. PLUG
Enzo's and independents like them are not into car sales so their main objective is service and or repair. Basically the opposite of a dealership...

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Class action lawsuits against automobile manufacturers are an uphill battle, almost never successful without a public safety issue component to the defect, and for those typically NTSB gets involved so manufacturers tend to run a voluntary recall..before they are ordered to do one. Same thing with emissions related issues . But for all the rest of the poor quality components which break down prematurely ( by our definition, which is usually based on a reasonable expectation ) there has to be a certain percentage ( it varies ..but I think it may be as high as 10%+) of the production which exhibits the problem, the record , assuming there is one , has to be ignored by the manufacturers, and it must cause a “material expense“ to customers ..so with all those obstacles in the way not many attorneys are willing to take on that class action, or an individual claim task .
Unfortunate but car makers know they can probably get away with cheaper parts they can simply blame on usual wear, even where we consider them premature wear . My Mercedes now has 200 K miles on it , not a drop of oil from the valve cover gasket . Same with our Pathfinder we recently donated . On the other hand, my Porsche’s ( water cooled one ) valve gasket started sweating / small leaks at about 50 K miles , and worse, the head gaskets on those cars start deteriorating quickly around 80 K miles ...that’s a big and expensive job. You’d think a brand like Porsche would use the highest quality materials, but obviously not . So Maserati is probably no different in that respect . ?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If this forum teamed up and we all started making/selling, hell... golf balls! o_O
As a member of our board, I would not vote to make them last an extremely long time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts