Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Looks great.

Out of curiosity, can you compare the weight of this vs original (both with the same things attached)?

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
150 Posts
I love and certainly appreciate the the carbon fibre look and the appeal of it - and certainly this would be a great visual enhancement. From the perspective of performance, which is usually why CF would be used, and the actual weight of the GT this will be the equivalent of clipping toe nails on the elephant.

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
561 Posts
I was approached once about producing CF trunks or truck tail gates and my thing is durability. Hoods don't go through all the opening closing that trunks do and there's nothing bouncing around that can hit it like loose items in a trunk or against a tail gate.

But it looks good and I hope it holds up to regular use.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
150 Posts
I was approached once about producing CF trunks or truck tail gates and my thing is durability. Hoods don't go through all the opening closing that trunks do and there's nothing bouncing around that can hit it like loose items in a trunk or against a tail gate.

I think that if you don't slam it like a Ford tailgate but push it down gently to latch it - the CF boot should hold out quite nicely.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
What are your plans with regard to UV degradation of the carbon fiber trunk lid?

·
Registered
104 Posts
If this trunk is made correctly it will hold up to any mistreatment that may come to it under normal daily abuse. Todays structural resins are being used to make chassis, so a few trunk slams wont affect things.
As JW38 has stated the biggest worry is the UV or dreaded yellowing. Its the resin that is breaking down. There is only one clear that I am aware of that is 100% protectant and its made by AkzoNobel. It is the clear used on the C7 corvettes on all carbon clear body parts.

·
Registered
Maserati Granturismo
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love and certainly appreciate the the carbon fibre look and the appeal of it - and certainly this would be a great visual enhancement. From the perspective of performance, which is usually why CF would be used, and the actual weight of the GT this will be the equivalent of clipping toe nails on the elephant.
Yeh this is purely for looks for me

·
Registered
Maserati Granturismo
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hopefully no issues but time will tell,had a full carbon boot on my BMW 6 series and held out with no issues at all so think things will be ok

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hopefully no issues but time will tell,had a full carbon boot on my BMW 6 series and held out with no issues at all so think things will be ok
It will be fine. It’s automotive grade clear coat with some black toner in the mix. Otherwise un toned carbon fiber is blinding.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They’re clear coated with normal auto clear and carbon doesn’t fade

source: used to make carbon fiber car parts
I'm not sure what parts you use to make but all clears don't protect. There are a few that slow the process of yellowing, but only one stops it. This is my profession for the past 14 years. Building carbon super cars and specializing in materials and processes

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm not sure what parts you use to make but all clears don't protect. There are a few that slow the process of yellowing, but only one stops it. This is my profession for the past 14 years. Building carbon super cars and specializing in materials and processes
are you not using 2K urethane clears over your carbon? I never had one yellow on me. I did mostly dashes, dash pieces, stuff like that. Even on respray repairs of carbon stuff, never had an issue. I usually used U-Pol Euroclear or Five Star if I was spraying matte.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes we do. The only clear that truly stop the yellowing affect are clears with cobalt in it. If you notice the purple tinge on our carbon mirrors and carbon trunk spoiler, that's the good clear and they will never yellow. And just for personal knowledge its the resin turning yellow, the carbon its self doesn't yellow.

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
561 Posts
The clear coat without UV protectant will discolor within a year from what I've seen. The cheap ones also delaminate in layers and it looks like paint developing holes as each layer wears off from weathering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts