Maserati Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like in your description they replaced all the PCV parts so that should have taken care of it if that was where the oil was coming from. I have my doubts that the turbo was shooting oil out as they describe but you never know, Ive never seen one do that. Again though replacing the turbo should have fixed that issue if it actually was shooting oil out of it. I'm leaning towards a larger, deeper issue with this engine, probably the ring issue I described earlier. I would guess your looking at an engine swap at this point. The guy who kept it a few months may have figured this out early on and was like get me out a here. The up side is you may get a brand new engine out of the deal.

Roy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought a 2014 GTS. The very next day I had this same issue. Not as bad though. My oil is slightly over max. Hoping that’s the issue. Car only has 10,900 miles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I just bought a 2014 GTS. The very next day I had this same issue. Not as bad though. My oil is slightly over max. Hoping that’s the issue. Car only has 10,900 miles.
Were you parked on any kind of slope?

The issue eventually went away for me after several months. When I went back to get my oil changed a little over a month ago, it started up again, this time even smoking on flat ground. They lowered the oil level and it completely went away. Seems it's definitely connected to the oil level, so if you lower it, it might fix the issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the response. The car runs fantastic and smoke clears up quickly and doesn’t smoke while running so I didn’t make a fuss about it to the dealer. Im confident after researching it will go away with an oil change as well.

3,092 Posts
When you overfill a turbo engine it pushes the excess oil up into the intercoolers...That is why you get the puffs of smoke occasionally...It can be hard to get all the excess oil out of the intercooler without actually removing the plumbing and draining it or put up with the smoke for a while...Jason

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought 2014 GTS as well. This happened to be on the 2nd day. I do live in a hilly area and I think it just shook up the oil a bit. It has not happened since.

I washed the car day before as well. I am not sure if that had anything to do with the smoke in the morning. Dealer did say it was normal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought 2014 GTS as well. This happened to be on the 2nd day. I do live in a hilly area and I think it just shook up the oil a bit. It has not happened since.

I washed the car day before as well. I am not sure if that had anything to do with the smoke in the morning. Dealer did say it was normal.
This is refreshing that it seems to be the “nature of the beast”. And not a faulty/broken component.

I know some Porsche models smoke and burn oil as well and Porsche claims it is 100% normal. I suppose some engines are just designed this way. Not your average Honda Civic motor.

I drive about 20k miles a year. I’m interested to see how this car holds up to heavy daily driving.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Were you parked on any kind of slope?

The issue eventually went away for me after several months. When I went back to get my oil changed a little over a month ago, it started up again, this time even smoking on flat ground. They lowered the oil level and it completely went away. Seems it's definitely connected to the oil level, so if you lower it, it might fix the issue.
Wait a minute didn't you have like $14,000 worth of engine work done to try to chase that down? And it just went away on its own????? HAHAHAHAHA classic Maserati stuff there. Beautiful.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Wait a minute didn't you have like $14,000 worth of engine work done to try to chase that down? And it just went away on its own????? HAHAHAHAHA classic Maserati stuff there. Beautiful.
Yup. $14k was parts alone. Don't know what labor costs were on top of that. Whole bunch of new parts... Don't want to imagine that on my own dime. Already have a powerboat for stuff like that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, it took 9 weeks, but I got my car back earlier this week. They ended up replacing the intercooler and all of the hoses, etc. and it still smoked. So they went ahead and replaced both turbos. Total in parts was over $14k. Still don't know what labor costs were. Drove the car home Monday, it was fine. Worked from home Tuesday, so didn't go anywhere. Drove to work Wednesday and it was fine. Fired up this morning and we're back to smoking like a steam locomotive (except it's definitely oil being burned). Very strong smell this morning. The fun continues...

Here are the videos from this morning. I thought everything was fixed, so I didn't expect to need to take a video. First two are immediately after startup:

Then after 2 - 3 minutes, I thought it was getting lighter, so I started to back down the driveway, but it seemed to get worse:

I drove down the street a bit, and pulled into a mailbox area for another neighborhood b/c it was still smoking. It had now been probably 5 or more minutes and it was still going:

I figured it out. Wow. I too have a unlevel driveway. Just noticed you do too. When I park front of car facing incline, car smokes like a train on startup.

When I park car in reverse, with the nose facing towards the decline. Car doesn’t smoke at all, ever. Not once.

Try it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I figured it out. Wow. I too have a unlevel driveway. Just noticed you do too. When I park front of car facing incline, car smokes like a train on startup.

When I park car in reverse, with the nose facing towards the decline. Car doesn’t smoke at all, ever. Not once.

Try it.
The nose facing down definitely helps. As does finding the flattest part of the driveway. But mine would still smoke. As mentioned, it has gone away now after the latest fluid adjustment. But the GTS definitely doesn't like being parked facing uphill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The nose facing down definitely helps. As does finding the flattest part of the driveway. But mine would still smoke. As mentioned, it has gone away now after the latest fluid adjustment. But the GTS definitely doesn't like being parked facing uphill.
What an odd occurrence. My car actually threw a P0308 code and left me stuck in traffic today.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So restarting it didn't fix your issue? Did you have to get it towed in?
No, restart did not fix it. I changed my battery myself. Did not fix it.

I have it parked on side of road. A Audi certified master mechanic who is local is coming to diagnose it at 4:30. Most likely coil, spark plug, or injector.

It can’t be a dead cylinder. I only have 14k miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It’s hard to tell without being there but it looks more like white smoke (coolant). The head gasket could be blown. Have gotten a leak down test on the cylinders

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
It’s hard to tell without being there but it looks more like white smoke (coolant). The head gasket could be blown. Have gotten a leak down test on the cylinders
If you're referring to my videos, you should read the thread. That was not it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yesterday morning I tried the autostart feature on my 14 QP GTS....BUT I did it twice by accident so the car started and stopped and then started again. It freaked me out when I saw a bunch of grey smoke pouring out and it reminded me of this thread! Hopefully this was just a rare incident!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 103 Posts