Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - I'm new to the forum and have an 02 Spyder Cambiocorsa. I'm experiencing clutch slip after 2000 miles of ownership (car has done 21500 in total) and have been reading about the F1 pump on here. The clutch was replaced at about 18500 miles so I doubt it's this. Question is - if it is the pump when would the warranty expire on an 02 car and anyone have any indication on UK cost for an 02 car. The car has started beeping on switch off.

Thanks in anticipation of any help !

Jonny

nb - anyone want to buy a Ghibli GT LHD ?!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Unfortunately, your warranty has already expired (assuming a 02 model). If you have bought the Trident extended warranty, you should be OK (in theory, and I REALLY MEAN in theory) but not if you have a 3rd party (e.g., Lloyds Warrantywise) cover, unless it is explicitly included in your policy.

You are looking at a circa 1.5 grand replacement (parts and labour) at a (stealer)ship, maybe a bit more, and less (by varying margins) if done by an independent, but then you have to shop around.

However, do not make an assumption without having the car checked. It could well be the clutch (e.g., urban stop-and-go driving in AUTO will make your clutch toast quite fast), the clutch could be defective or may have been wrongly installed (was the last replacement made at a dealer workshop?)

Ed

·
Registered
909 Posts
Also, how long was your clutch break-in period? How were you driving the car during this time? (primarily city \ highway \ auto \ paddles \ sport \ easy \ aggressive \ even mix?)

The dealership can also attach a computer and check clutch wear. They can also check the transmission control unit (TCU) to be sure that everything is set right for clutch engagement. (There are a few parameters that are changed \ updated when a clutch is installed.) If on the chance you had an independent shop replace your clutch, then its very likely if not definite that they did not update the TCU to know that it has a new clutch, which can affect its control of the system.

- Mark

·
Registered
824 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
Also, how long was your clutch break-in period? How were you driving the car during this time? (primarily city \ highway \ auto \ paddles \ sport \ easy \ aggressive \ even mix?)

The dealership can also attach a computer and check clutch wear. They can also check the transmission control unit (TCU) to be sure that everything is set right for clutch engagement. (There are a few parameters that are changed \ updated when a clutch is installed.) If on the chance you had an independent shop replace your clutch, then its very likely if not definite that they did not update the TCU to know that it has a new clutch, which can affect its control of the system.

- Mark
Yes, I was told that resetting the TCU params was normal procedure after a clutch job. I bet they didn't do that.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If the TCU isn't reset, or if its reset and the service wasn't actually done, the parameters, and calibration of the system is all out of whack. I've gotten to watch the setup process post clutch install, and felt the differences in shifting due to the calibrated settings and its all pretty impressive. After the clutch is installed, the technician test drives the car with the computer hooked up, and calibrates the system during the test drive. If there is ever a problem, they do the same process with data logging, which the raw output file can be sent to MNA, for their engineers to look at and help diagnose or confirm a problem. I have seen the files before, while helping my Italian technician friend that hates computers get them sent to Maserati. I'm not really sure what everything was, but the output is *extensive*.

This is one of the reasons I so often suggest to take the car to a dealer for work. Regardless of your opinion of the prevelance of computers in cars, and these systems making it hard to work on your own car, or even for third party shops to pop up, the reality is that as much technology has gone into the brain of the car for service related concerns as performance. In the end, its a huge advantage for the company to know exactly what part of a system is failing, cutting down diagnosis time and repair costs for warranty work. This same system that saves them money will save you money in the long run. It will also mean you have your baby back faster, since they don't have to try things until something finally works.

Because lets face it, as cool as those old cars are, they can't compete with the edge that technology gives modern cars in nearly every respect.

- Mark

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

to all for the input. Will check out who did the clutch and ask the relevant questions. It was done before my ownership and a clutch wear check was done within last 200o miles showing all ok.

Regards

Jonny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts