Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, looking for input from others. My has begun to run just above the 12 o'clock position for the past 5 months. It used to be within city limits, it would run dead center at 12 o'clock, and on the freeway, it would run at around 11oclock....

I flushed the radiator and used mostly water and RedLine WaterWetter in hopes the engine would run a bit cooler. It has run the same. ...Today in the Bay Area it is hot as hell and I ran right in the middle of 12oclock and the round Warning light....

It dawned on me, that about 5 months ago, I was getting an exhaust rattle which I think was from the Secondary CAT. I drove the car around for about a week with the rattle and finally got the the muffler place and put the car on a lift....of course, once on a lift,the rattle stopped and has not come back and the muffler guy thought I was nuts and hearing things....

So,...could my slightly higher operating temp be due to a small CAT breakup, exhaust restriction? if so, what would you do? Cut the piping to remove the clog and re-weld?

TIA

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Depending on which set of Catalytic converters failed, you may not need to do any welding...

Just remove the cat and see if it is broken up enough to come out in chunks... Then just shake it, etc. To get the rest out :)

Decatted the car sounds SIIIICK. Almsot like an F1 car at full throtle :)

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
Cats deterioration and clogging will raise temperatures. You may also start seeing the "slow down" light on your dashboard. I can't say whether or not it is your problem but it's probably contributing.

I do not suggest running without cats, the performance difference is negligable (1-2hp) with the right setup. With our high performance cats you can pass emissions, know that you're not killing baby seals and still get a better performing car than the factory provided.

The sound is in my opinion better and worse by completely removing them. Cool for the track but I wouldn't want to be driving past a patrolmen that way ;)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
At full throttle, flooring it on the on ramp for the freeway, the car sounds VERY much like the first clip... just a tad bit raspier...

If you downshift from freeway speeds to redline and floor it, it sounds just like an F1 car downshifting...

Amazing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts