Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting conflicting information online about which model cars have and dont have skyhook suspension. looking at QP5.5 2010-2013 model years, between GTS and S models. are they both fixed dampers? I drove a 2011 S model and felt the ride to be very supple in rough roads yet very composed. I assumed it was skyhook, but 2 website articles said S andGTS used fixed dampers. how do you tell visually? color of the shock body differences?

Fiinalizing my decision on whether to jump on a local S model or to pursue a GTS model in a diffrent state.

Thanks!

6,709 Posts
A GTS is fixed suspension and rides pretty hard...You can check for Skyhook by simply opening the hood and kinda peeking under the plastic cover. You may need to undo 1 screw...Look for wires coming out top of the front shock...Wires mean it has Skyhook...Jason

Reactions: Shenofjo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How many miles/years are the skyhook shocks good for? I’ve always liked fixed dampers for ease of service and cost. Actually dealing with my father’s CLS 55 amg airmatic that’s failed again and low to the floor in 10 years even though it’s driven 15k miles in that time frame.

Coming from supra/is300/e38, I’ve had good luck with bilstein shocks and more recently fortune auto 500 coilovers. I’m very curious how the gts bilstein fixed dampers are in ride quality. While I’m sure it will be firmer than skyhook, I’m sure it won’t be cheap coilover harsh. If the GTS bilsteins are comparable to e38 bilstein shocks in ride quality with more road feel without being jarring, I am all for it

I would compare my experience of the S I drove to the CLS airmatic and it may be even more comfortable than that barely feeling the railroad tracks and major dips on the pavement.

lastly I would be very interested in the FD’s coilover set up when the skyhook does give out. My experience with the entry level FA500 made the car feel very agile while retaining good road feel. I can dial out the harshness on regular roads and reduce excessive side to side sway on turns with the turn of a knob. Any one with experience of skyhook/FD coilovers/GTs bilsteins pls chime in

·
Registered
214 Posts
The skyhook shocks can fail with the earlier cars getting to be well over 15 years old, my two front shocks broke down internally and were replaced last year.
How much did it cost to get replaced? I might need to replace mine too. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Well, the shocks are very expensive as new parts, pretty sure they are over $2,000 each nowadays. My shop found a used pair from a 7K mile car, and charged me $650 each plus $1,000 labor total for the job.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well, the shocks are very expensive as new parts, pretty sure they are over $2,000 each nowadays. My shop found a used pair from a 7K mile car, and charged me $650 each plus $1,000 labor total for the job.
Thanks! That's a great price!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts