Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to pick up a used coupe, and am confused about the skyhook option.
I am hearing that without this option installed, the car will never be re sold, and will ride too stiff.

Do I need to hold off until I find a car with skyhook?

What about resale in the future without the option?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Fred said:
I am hearing that without this option installed, the car will never be re sold, and will ride too stiff.

Thanks!
hi and welcome.
i do not quite understand the 'never be re sold' part.
the skyhook option is ticked on most cars.

IMO without it, there is just one less thing to break and replace.
the coupe and spyder owners can fill you in more.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Fred said:

Thanks!
depends. skyhook is maserati's version of auto damping sys. in sports mode the suspension is lowered to increase handling and drivability at high speed also cornering. once engaged the car rides stiffer, why wouldn't you want it stiff anyway? it's a sports car :)
resale value on these babies aren't "great" therefore i doubt it would make a difference with or without skyhook.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha said:
depends. skyhook is maserati's version of auto damping sys. in sports mode the suspension is lowered to increase handling and drivability at high speed also cornering. once engaged the car rides stiffer, why wouldn't you want it stiff anyway? it's a sports car :)
resale value on these babies aren't "great" therefore i doubt it would make a difference with or without skyhook.
Roads in NJ are somewhat less smooth than roads in CA.
I can see the benefit of softer damping on many of the back roads here. Esp when the wife is in the car, and we are just tooling around.
I can put up with a stiffer ride when driving in a spirited manner.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thats true, my GS didn't have skyhook and it was a much better ride IMO.
The important questions u have to ask is who is going to be driving the car and what style of driving. If its for your wife or girlfriend who takes the GS to the supermarket then maybe u would like to have the skyhook.
The motoring magazine test drivers here in Singapore prefer the ride without the skyhook because the car became more predictable in its handling. I agree.

Bimbo, I sent u a PM on Fchat.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have an 04 CC with Skyhook. It is my daily driver and I rarely use the skyhook. I wish the car had both the power and sport buttons, because I want the sport transmission without the suspension during my commute.

Skyhook is cool though but not "required"

-dsd

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dsd
When you commute, do you want the suspension plush or firm?
I am looking a plush commute, but it can be firm for a spirited drive.
The rough roads up here seem to beat up a car with a stiff suspension.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I really don't think the Skyhook makes too much difference. My car without Skyhook is about like a Skyhook in Sport mode. (I have driven a few Skyhook cars). I would make it stiffer still if I could. Take a lap following a Ferrari and you'll see why. I am working on finding a good coil-over set up right now.

I don't think the Skyhook option should sway your decision whether or not to buy a Maserati. The transmission, however, is a different story...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Fred,

If you want a plush commute, get skyhook and leave it off. For spirited drives turn it on. It really is like a different car. I do not have any experience with non-Skyhook cars.

Best,
dsd

·
Registered
681 Posts
I HATED skyhook in my car. I didn't notice how bad it was until I drove a non sky-hook car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MVP said:
I HATED skyhook in my car. I didn't notice how bad it was until I drove a non sky-hook car.
How do you define "bad". Is it too soft? on what kind of roads and driving?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Fred said:
How do you define "bad". Is it too soft? on what kind of roads and driving?
Whenever I drove the car very aggressively I didn't like the way the skyhook reacted. I prefer one suspension setting while I am driving so I know how the car will react at all times. When Skyhook is constantly changing the damper of the car I don't feel as much in control. I drive with the ASR off in sport mode at all times however so if you just use your Maserati to daily drive and don't ever really push it then Skyhook doesn't really hurt. It's for drivers who take it to the track or drive like I do who can't stand it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts