Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ordering a GT S. The Skyhook is an option on it, but it's not clear what the pros/cons are. Apparently, it comes with a sportier/stiffer suspension, and one can get the Skyhook for a softer ride, but to be honest, I'm not exactly sure of that. The web site says:

"The Maserati GranTurismo S comes with fixed setting steel dampers modified with the introduction of new springs and dampers. These provide a 10% improvement in damping and have been repositioned in terms of the compression/extension relationship to adapt to the car’s particular characteristics. The torsion bar was also strengthened by widening its diameter.

As an alternative to the standard fixed suspension, the Maserati GranTurismo S can be fitted with Skyhook electronically controlled suspension system that could be equated more with a comfort setting. This system uses aluminum dampers that continually adjust the damping; and the entire system is managed by dedicated software that adapts to the car’s actual driving dynamics."

Does anyone have insight into whether I should get the Skyhook option or not? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I'd go for it. I do believe they offer more flexible usage since you should be able to engage a stiffer set up through a "sport" button and have a softer ride without the button engaged.

·
Registered
695 Posts
trice9,

If you can get a test ride in the QP Sport GT-S that is out now, the driving and handling dynamics should be very similar to your ordered GranTurismo S. Then determine if that ride is acceptable for all of your driving conditions. Adding Skyhook option offers a computerized way of "softening" the ride.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i would not get the skyhook on the GT-S.
as bcube mentioned, you should test drive a QP Sport GT-S and see how the suspension behaves.

·
Registered
56 Posts
skyhook is a must!

My GranTurismo has skyhook, which is an ad-on-option in Europe!
In activating the sports button, the car gets both, stiffer and more throttle responsive.

However I drove also a GT without the skyhook option. In this case the damping characteristics will not change. If the sports button is activated, only the throttle gets more aggressive.

I really would miss something if I could not soften the damping while cruising!

I suppose the same will apply for the GT-S

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
well, for one the skyhook seems to compromise a little on both the soft and on sport mode. it seems to be neither (lexus) soft, nor (race) sport.

when developing the S models, and for the QP, being a very heavy car, they resort to conventional setup for the Sport GT-S, which i find to be amazingly sporty, compare to Skyhook on Sport.

one good thing is, as the article mentioned, the Skyhook for the GT S is also tuned. so i wouldnt expect it to be cushy either.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
I would suggest the skyhook , it's more versatile and provides a better ride. If down the road you decide to upgrade the car, you will have more options.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does the skyhook have different settings that I can set, or does the car adjust the settings in real time based on the driving? If I can set it to soft vs. hard, I think then it would make sense to get that option. On my M5, I like to set the setting based on what kind of driving I'm doing. The stiffer suspension is fun, but is too harsh for all the time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Does the skyhook have different settings that I can set, or does the car adjust the settings in real time based on the driving? If I can set it to soft vs. hard, I think then it would make sense to get that option. On my M5, I like to set the setting based on what kind of driving I'm doing. The stiffer suspension is fun, but is too harsh for all the time.
Skyhook gives you 2 settings, Sport and Normal. Normal is obviously a little softer. I use sport 100% of the time, and still feel that the ride is quite comfortable.

Eric

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
We are currently developing the ability to independantly control the ride produced by the skyhook suspension for the Quattroporte, GranTourismo and 4200 Series Models.

·
Registered
284 Posts
We are currently developing the ability to independantly control the ride produced by the skyhook suspension for the Quattroporte, GranTourismo and 4200 Series Models.
That would be great, I love the Sport shifting mode, but would like to drive around town in Normal mode at the same time.

Eric

·
Registered
284 Posts
While at it, can you change the defaults at startup so that it does not start in Normal mode?

Eric

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
We do have a list of pet peeves that many owners have. i.e. I have a 2003 coupe and every time I get in the car I have to switch to sport or turn off msp, etc... We can and will provide some reasonably priced fixes to these problems.

·
Registered
284 Posts
We do have a list of pet peeves that many owners have. i.e. I have a 2003 coupe and every time I get in the car I have to switch to sport or turn off msp, etc... We can and will provide some reasonably priced fixes to these problems.
Thanks, keep us posted, and keep the great products coming. Have you added an approved installer section yet to the website?

Eric

·
Registered
56 Posts

... what do you mean by: " ... developing the ability to independantly control the ride produced by the skyhook ..."

Some means that the suspension changes automatically its characteristics during driving???

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I think he means you can turn on and off the sport mode in the skyhook without it changing the other sport-related features (eg. gearchanges, exahust flaps on the GS).

But I await Jeff's reply - perhaps he's got something even more interesting up his sleeve ;)

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
You will have the ability to soften or firm the ride of the skyhook suspension on the fly. This will allow adjustment beyond the normal or sport modes of driving and will be independant of any other changes such as shift points or the exhaust flap on the GS. Very cool technology, similar to that of the Ferrari F430.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You will have the ability to soften or firm the ride of the skyhook suspension on the fly. This will allow adjustment beyond the normal or sport modes of driving and will be independant of any other changes such as shift points or the exhaust flap on the GS. Very cool technology, similar to that of the Ferrari F430.[/QUOTE

When will this be available?

Eric

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.