Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Skyhook light came on- Not surprising after I got the car back from my body shop guy for some minor work on my gransport. Car had an additional 50miles on it. I didn't know it took 50 miles of road test to get some body work done! What can I do? I noticed it after I took off. Whatever. I can't do a frkin 150 point inspection everytime I leave my car for service or anything. Maybe I'm picky. Call me crazy-

I like my body shop guy, he does amazing work for a reasonable price. He quoted me half the price of other "premium" shops I went to, and did a phenomenal job. I'm kind of pissed. But this is the [email protected] part of the auto industry that I hate. This is the kind of thing that makes me sick. Maybe I would see things differently if I was on the other side, but NOPE. I don't. Anyways-

I tried to re-set the battery 3 times today, but it won't go away. I can't feel or notice anything different. Anybody had this problem before with their skyhook light? I already called jeff and he said to try and drive and see if it goes away. I just want to know if I need to bring it in to my dealer so I can save time because my warranty is about up and now I'm worried-

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called and he says the car was on the lift? He swears nobody drove the car anywhere. I didnt have them write down milage. I will make sure that is brought up anytime I bring ther car anywhere from now on. The skyhook is not working at all when i turn on sport mode. I have to check if I'm still under warranty dammit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
get it fixed under warranty and show the bodyshop guy the bill and ask for compensation otherwise dont ever go back to him as a matter of principle. Check your tires to see if the bodyshop guys were thrashing the car about. tell as many people what happened and never use these guys again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just my .02 - I have had vehicles go up in the air, and come down with "issues" in the driveline/suspension. Its POSSIBLE that something was stressed just enough from the car being on the lift (wheels a hanging) that something failed. I'm no expert on these cars what-so-ever, and could easily be considered a non-credible source, but I have experienced that type of thing in the past with other vehicles.

If the 50miles happened, then I would be pissed too. Regardless of work done, 50 miles is definitely excessive for a car in a shop for any reason, I would think.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Just my .02 - I have had vehicles go up in the air, and come down with "issues" in the driveline/suspension. Its POSSIBLE that something was stressed just enough from the car being on the lift (wheels a hanging) that something failed. I'm no expert on these cars what-so-ever, and could easily be considered a non-credible source, but I have experienced that type of thing in the past with other vehicles.

If the 50miles happened, then I would be pissed too. Regardless of work done, 50 miles is definitely excessive for a car in a shop for any reason, I would think.
Of course I would ALWAYS check the fuses/relays on these cars first. I was driving down the road one day and was horrified when I noticed my oil pressure gauge was ZERO! I swerved off into a parking lot and called the MNA assistance number. After 3 days at the shop, I was informed a CAN bus fuse blew which took out the entire dashboard. No reason... Just blew... A few weeks later I drove over a big bump in the road and every light on the dash lit up... ABS, air bags, transmission.. CRAP! Pulled over, restarted it and all was fine. I love this WEIRD car.. We're similar in So many ways :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
skyhook icon

where exactly are the skyhook sensors please. Are they easy to replace? What do they look like? I sometimes get a skyhook malfunction icon ( car symbol with a vertical arrow). Am I correct in thinking that only dealer machine can identify which sensor it is? Are they plug and play like the 02 sensors? Does the car need recalibrating after replacing? We have quite a few speed bumps in Uk so that is what throws out the error methinks. I'm surprised that those who have opted to lower the suspension dont really experience the skyhook error light. Is it better to switch to non-sport mode when going over bumps. I always use sport and manual mode as suggested by the good people on this board. While I'm at it is the moon really made out of cheese?

thanks in advance.;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
The skyhook sensors are part of the hub bearing assembly...I got an error when putting my car back together after dismantling the front suspension cause I forgot to plug one of them in. The cable as it comes out of the sensor, which is a coil wound with very fine wire in a steel ring that presses onto the back of the bearing housing, is not very well protected, although when installed it's OK as it has clamps holding it down all over the suspension arms. You might try unplugging each one in turn and check for continuity with a meter, I seem to remember a few hundred ohms but would need to check from the spare I have in the shed...as it's a coil there are only two pins on the plug and it's easy to undo, you can probably get at them without taking the wheels off, particularly if at the front you turn the wheel out of the way, they're towards the back on the inside of the wheelarch.

Best of luck,

Alan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hang on...I may have given you duff info trying to be helpful!!! I think that the Skyhook system uses sensors all over the place and I was telling you about the ABS sensors. The one I left disconnected was probably (but not definitely) the other sensor on the front hub... I would think that you were right first off in thinking that the system would need to be interrogated via the Maserati Sistema Diagnosi (SD2/3/5) to find out for sure as it relies on data from pitch and yaw sensors in the car body as well as on these hub sensors. Apologies...Alan

·
Registered
224 Posts
There are Skyhook sensors that bolt to the spindle behind the hub. It is a small black box approx 1.5" squared. There are also some on the shock tower in the engine compartment, but those never fail. I bet if you replace both of the ones in the front hubs, that would fix it. I can not for the life of me remember if it shut off the light right away. Those sensors were so bad that there was a recall on the QP. They are easy to replace if you can juck up the front end of the car and get the wheel off. Make sure you mentally note where the wire runs, you want to run it identical. I hope this helps. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts