Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is having skyhook a troublesome bother or not? Want to avoid quirky things if I can...but I have found the perfect looking car with low miles. I trust in the education I get from forum members...and I promise I will contribute to the community as soon as I get the car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can speak from a Quattroporte S experience only, but am glad mine has the feature. On rough pavement, it is nice to be able to soften the suspension, while on smooth surface I prefer the more sporty feel. The answer on this may depend where you live. If you have nothing but smooth roads then you would not need Skyhook. However, I have found rough roads are not comfortable to ride on in Sport mode. The owner's manual also indicates not to use Sport mode on the not-so-smooth surfaces.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Skyhook is awesome. Make due you get a newer, better car. You'll have no problems. This platform is very reliable and easy to maintain.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,348 Posts
I also recommend Skyhook. My previous '13 MC model didn't have it, and the ride quality was pretty rough.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I remember watching Harry Metcalfe's review of his GTS with Skyhook, and he didn't like the fact that because it's enabled via the Sport button, you can't have the sport sound but with the softer suspension setting. It's both or none.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Is having skyhook a troublesome bother or not? Want to avoid quirky things if I can...but I have found the perfect looking car with low miles. I trust in the education I get from forum members...and I promise I will contribute to the community as soon as I get the car.
There are no debts here, ask all the questions you want! Your only obligation is to be respectful and of course share in our love of these wonderful machines 👍

Reactions: eyoung67

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I remember watching Harry Metcalfe's review of his GTS with Skyhook, and he didn't like the fact that because it's enabled via the Sport button, you can't have the sport sound but with the softer suspension setting. It's both or none.
Yeah, that kinda sucks. I wish there was a separate suspension settings button (as well as a separate exhaust button).

·
Registered
179 Posts
You can always get the valve control kit from FD. Would let you ride with valves open in normal mode. Or there is the DIY method of plugging the vacuum line with a golf tee to have the valves always open.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't believe the Skyhook suspension is "enabled" and "disabled" via the Sport button. That just changes the damping algorithm from a softer setting to a firmer setting.
Changing with exhaust valves without the Sport button can be accomplished via a remote control solenoid.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Is there an RPM level where the exhaust note is the same in normal mode as it is in sport mode ? The reason I ask is this: if I am driving in normal “comfy ride“ mode ( and in D ) maybe 3,000 or 4,000 rpm, when I push the sport button on , I do not detect any discernible difference in sound, only the ride firmness changes. Or maybe the sound difference is so small I just haven‘t noticed it.
If that’s the case ( where a certain rpm level changes the sound to the sport note, or at least very close to it ) you could just control that with the paddle shifters and still drive it in the comfortable ride mode. :unsure: ?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think I read that people notice the exhaust valves opening around 3000 rpm (with Sport mode). Below that, there would be no difference as the valve is closed.
I have the FD remote exhaust control, so I control the valves open/closed at any rpm.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sport mode engaged the firm suspension setting. Personally I love the simplicity of the sport mode. I see no issue with combining throttle may, suspension firmness and loud.

I guess if you want 3 separate buttons for this, u either be driving a BMW.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sport mode engaged the firm suspension setting. Personally I love the simplicity of the sport mode. I see no issue with combining throttle may, suspension firmness and loud.

I guess if you want 3 separate buttons for this, u either be driving a BMW.
I dunno. My 5 series in sport mode definitely stiffens the suspension and better throttle response, but I don't get much of a growl! More like a faint pur! LOL

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I dunno. My 5 series in sport mode definitely stiffens the suspension and better throttle response, but I don't get much of a growl! More like a faint pur! LOL
Same here...quieter than a rat p* *ing on cotton! :p

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Interestingly, I discovered that while driving / holding it steadily , in auto / D mode, at a certain rpm level but only BELOW 3,000, if you push the Sport button the rpm will jump up by + 500 . So you will hear the revv. increase and sport sound difference right away. If you do that same thing however, at a higher level than 3,000 rpm only the suspension switches, the rpm stays right where it was, and like I said before, I cant detect much of a difference in the sound. Just playing with that s**t on my drive to work today, nothing better to do 😜

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Even Ferrari has had a separate suspension settings button for years ("bumpy road mode"). It's not that hard.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Y'all like buttons

I wish there was a way to emerge sport mode default, then I could jump in and go.

My sport button is wearing off

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Even Ferrari has had a separate suspension settings button for years ("bumpy road mode"). It's not that hard.
The Ferrari Pista ( I drove one for about 30 min. ) has at least three different settings, could be four.. I don't have a good recollection of all that button's settings, just that the last one was a full race mode and driving like that for more than 5 minutes would rattle your spinal column to the point of needing a chiropractor when you get out of the car. The first couple of settings were very " civilized " ,actually a surprisingly comfortable ride.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts