Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... how many of you, during day-to-day city driving,
skip gears when shifting (i.e. 1st to 3rd to 5th, or 2nd to 4th, etc)?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
F. Yu said:
Just curious... how many of you, during day-to-day city driving,
skip gears when shifting (i.e. 1st to 3rd to 5th, or 2nd to 4th, etc)?
just curious... on a CC or DS or F1, does the computer actually skip the gear or it goes thru it very quick? (vs on a manual, you can skip a gear physically and entirely.)

i know for downshifts if flick down 5-4-3-2 the computer blips down the gears sequentially. i think for upshifts it does skip some gears. someone please confirm this.

answering your question, i drive in whatever the right gear or whatever i feel like. i can accelerate all i want in 2nd to whichever speed and then flick up to cruise in 5th....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know, it has been mentioned before (I think on FerrariChat) that the Cambriocorsa is not sequential and can skip gears. I was wondering about doing this as a habit during city driving (which, unfortunately, we do a lot in Los Angeles) as theoretically wouldn't it save clutch wear?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
F. Yu said:
As far as I know, it has been mentioned before (I think on FerrariChat) that the Cambriocorsa is not sequential and can skip gears. I was wondering about doing this as a habit during city driving (which, unfortunately, we do a lot in Los Angeles) as theoretically wouldn't it save clutch wear?
yes it is not sequential. i hope you are not confused with sequentially and sequential gearbox.

by saying "i know for downshifts if flick down 5-4-3-2 the computer blips down the gears sequentially." i meant the computer changes gear from 5-4-3-2-1 accordingly if you demand it to go down.

answering my question, i think on downshift in auto mode, it does skip gear and drop from say 5 down to 2 or 1 in crawling speed, for instance.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Skip gears on the manual boxen in the Porsche & Stealth but I dunno how you'd do that in the CC. One tug on the paddle up or down moves the box up or down one gear. I think a couple of tugs will produce a skip on the indicator from 3rd to 5th say, but the gearbox actually does the shift - it only takes 150 ms after all. I don't think you could work the paddle fast enough to produce an actual skip.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey Guys!

There is no question but that if you actuate the paddles quickly and pull the number of times that equates to the number of gears you wish to drop, the CC will go directly to that gear. For example, if you are in 5th and you pull 3 times quickly and in succession on the paddle, the car will go right to 2nd. I do this frequently, so I'm sure it is not rowing through the gears on the way down. The shift downward is just as fast as if it were a one gear downshift.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I do it, say from 2nd to 4th, I tap upshift twice quickly; the gear
indicator goes from 2nd to 4th as far as I can tell. Also, I don't hear or
feel the transmission going through two gears, only one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts