Maserati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
11/20/2014:
I got my fuse box back from Ron about a week and a half ago. I didn't get to install it until last weekend though.
I have to say, Ron does phenomenal work. He took my burned up fuse box, cleaned it up, re-soldered all circuits, fixed tons of issues, and ultimately it fixed EVERY known electrical issue I had with the car!!! Even the speedometer works again! I couldn't be happier with it. Also, he is very helpful and does not overcharge for his services. It took a few weeks round-trip, but it was well worth the wait.
Oh, and the Compendium!!! He did a great job putting it all together.
If anyone is looking to fix Biturbo electrical gremlins, or at least get the vehicle to a point where diagnostic testing can be much easier (since the brain of the car will be a solid baseline), I HIGHLY recommend Ron.
I don't know if he has an account here, but I'm going to ask if he is ok if I post his email address.
***He approved... Ron Carlson, [email protected]***

So, after I put it all back together, I took it for a drive. It was so nice to have it all working and running good! I drove it around a few miles to make sure the radiator fans worked as well. All good.

Next, minor body work and paint... and possibly interior re-do.
I know that the engine has to come out soon also. I have a few leaks to fix that would be much easier if removed, like rear main seal and both turbo oil return hoses. While at it, I'll reseal the intake manifold. I think I have a small leak there.

So happy!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Glad you are back after some time, was wondering if your were still moving forward with this project. Looking forward to see your progress and pictures.

11/20/2014:
I got my fuse box back from Ron about a week and a half ago. I didn't get to install it until last weekend though.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Wow, this is some thread. You are doing some great stuff to this car. Can't wait to read you got it 100%!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
12/4/2014:
Started body work today!
Rear right quarter had some rust.

Here are some progress pics from throughout the day.:

Above you'll see a brass fitting and hose below that leads to the wheel well below (pic below) with a plastic hose fitting to keep the hose from pulling upward.This was my attempt to help ensure this rust doesn't happen again.

Below are pics from the lower corner of the right rear tail light area.

...and the just above the rocker panel.

So, I'm hoping to have all the body work and sanding done this weekend. I may run out of time though. We'll see.
:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
You are doing great work. You bought a what I would consider "A good one" and you're saving it. Congrats on the mechanical diagnostics, you're doing all the right things.
I never got to hear my Biturbo actually run, seeing your videos and hearing it run is really cool. Great post.
Mine was too far gone to save, so I stuffed a Lexus 1UZFE V8 into it, making it basically a road legal rally car. Tons of fabrication work.

Really nice job on saving a classic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks!
I read through your entire build thread... very impressive!
I've been looking into engine swaps for years and am a huge fan of GM LS engines. I know they will fit the biturbo... well at least a 90's Ghibli (which I believe has the same engine bay as the Biturbo). There is a Youtube video from Turkey of a shop that did the swap. Looks like they didn't have to do any structural work. My daily driver has an LS2, so I plan to do some measuring some day to see... but until then, the Maserati engine works just fine!

Hoping to do some updating on my build thread soon. I've done a bit of body work, including custom work to the front bumper. More to come... :)

I'll be following your thread! Keep up the good work!
JIM

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks!
I read through your entire build thread... very impressive!
I've been looking into engine swaps for years and am a huge fan of GM LS engines. I know they will fit the biturbo... well at least a 90's Ghibli (which I believe has the same engine bay as the Biturbo). There is a Youtube video from Turkey of a shop that did the swap. Looks like they didn't have to do any structural work. My daily driver has an LS2, so I plan to do some measuring some day to see... but until then, the Maserati engine works just fine!

Hoping to do some updating on my build thread soon. I've done a bit of body work, including custom work to the front bumper. More to come... :)

I'll be following your thread! Keep up the good work!
JIM
Thanks and be sure to post more pics, it's cool to see the transformation of these things.

As far as a GM LS run of the mill V8 fitting in a Biturbo with no structural mods, I would lay a pretty substantial wager that that's wrong. The trans tunnel on these cars and subsequently the interior hump under the dash, is way too small for anything other than the Maserati transmissions that they were designed with. I saved the piece of steel that I cut out. You would be shocked to see how small it is and how odd it looks. It's shallow and very narrow. No way you're getting a chevy trans in that spot without moving things. Plus- the oil pan on a chevy engine would hit the steering rack. It wouldn't even drop far enough into the engine bay to shut the hood. The Biturbo cars are only going to take a front sumped engine like the Toyota 1UZFE or you're cutting off the entire engine cradle and front suspension. Maybe the 90's Ghibli cars have the steering racks ahead of the front wheels and it might be a different story, but not in the 84-89 Bitubos, the rack is behind the front wheels and that makes the engine choice pretty limited.. Just food for thought. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
GOOD INFO! Thank you!
I think I'll nix the Biturbo LS engine swap idea and keep that for a future project (Porsche 914) :)
I do love the Biturbo drive train.
I can't wait until this one is on the road again! SOON!
Paint prep in progress...

JIM

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Finally! Some updates! LOL

Sorry for the delay... I haven't had much time to work on it for a while. Here's what I've been up to:

Since 12/4/2014:

1. Finished up the right rear quarter panel repairs, and sprayed with temporary primer until ready for full prep with full-body primer.

2. Decided to remove the rotten rubber bumper strips permanently and go smooth. Started on the front bumper. Will do rear afterward. Also fixing breaks in chin spoiler. Came up with cool idea/theory for front turn signal replacement... more on that later (after I work it out). I used dense foam flooring to take up the 7/16" space in the bumper strip recess (contact cemented it in). Then I knocked it down a tad with a wire wheel so I could use fiberglass to harden it up. Then Bondo to surface it. This is still in progress... taking a while to get it right.

3. Next is the fun part! I added NACA DUCTS! I LOVE the look of the European Biturbos with the NACA hoods. So I designed these on Adobe Illustrator, printed them out as a template. Measured and placed them on the hood as close as possible to the factory position (using internet pics) and cut into the hood...

Next came the mig welding of the sides of the scoops. I'm not a great welder.. I'll say that up front. In fact, it's a Harbor Freight welder (surprisingly easy to use)... But, it did the job!

Then grinding to remove the slag.

Next I used fiberglass "mush" to seal any holes from the bottom, then the top.

Then Bondo to fill and shape.

Here's the semi-final (at least end of day) product:

I'll finish up at a later date. More later!

JIM

·
Registered
124 Posts
Awesome. Love the NACA ducts. I also love how you solved the junky looking bumper problem that all of these have. Mind if I copy you on that? I'm going to do the same thing. Great idea. Nice update!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Absolutely! Go for it! That's why I detail what I did, so others can use if they like it.
Also, I may try a different material to fill the 7/16" recess for the rear bumper. Thought of laminate vinyl flooring, cut in strips, layered. It would be a little more rigid than the foam, and maybe cheaper. It would cut out the step of wire wheeling the foam down too, as I could just leave out one layer at the top. My foam was free because I happened to have some leftover from doing my workout room/office floor.

The fun part is cruising eBay and Amazon for turn signal and side marker options. I'm still up in the air on mine...

Good luck!
JIM

·
Registered
124 Posts
Aw, crap- this forum isn't like all the others, you're right. No edit button. Send a message to the moderators. They should be able to help.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
I just looked into editing the posts to fix the photo links. I have no "edit" button available on the forum.
??
Send me a PM and I'll try to help you. I tried approving the attachments, but it still shows removed by member.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My last post above, has an EDIT button. It appears that they've enabled the users to edit posts in this topic from here on out, but not in the previous posts..

41 - 60 of 71 Posts